We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night train Belgrade to Sofia

Which Belgrade hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, England
reviews: 1
Night train Belgrade to Sofia

Help - wanting to book a sleeper on the overnight train from Belgrade to Sofia on 4th June. Tried to book through De Bahn but got two different stories - one person said all accommodation was booked up and the other said it wasn't yet possible to book, ring later - so not sure if they will be available or not. Tried to ring Belgrade Station direct but they said "No English spoken" and put the phone down!

If there's a way of booking a double sleeper now, I don't want to wait till De Bahn can do this just in case they DO get fully booked.

Is there a way round this, or it is true that they're not booking them out just yet?

Sorry that question is a bit garbled, but hope someone can give me a definite answer.

Getting a bit anxious now!

23 replies to this topic
Belgrade, Serbia
1. Re: Night train Belgrade to Sofia

Try to phone tomorrow Wasteels in Belgrade.

They have office on Belgrade bus station, and the guy who works there speaks 5 languages.

Phone no. is +381112658868

He will explain everything, and give you useful info.

greety Ivan

Edited: 10:43 am, March 15, 2012
Halifax, England
2. Re: Night train Belgrade to Sofia

I've seen his name mentioned before - I shall give him a call.

I'll let you know how I get on! Me and my daughter are travelling all the way to Greece so lots of journeys to arrange - but it will be worth it.

Thanks again for your help.

Belgrade, Serbia
reviews: 2
3. Re: Night train Belgrade to Sofia

I live in Belgrade and travelled Friday night to Sofia.

My Serbian colleague and I were told that the station staff's computer systems could not prebook sleeper accommodation and you had to book it on the train (RSD1000=€10 on top of the pre-purchased ticket price) - ie they didnlt know who may have taken sleeper accommodation ebfore the train arrived in Belgrade. So I boarded the train and no sleeper accommodation was available!!!

So I slept in the carriage. No big ordeal. Not very comfortable.

There is a daily private minibus which takes 6 hours and costs €25 - will try that in future.

If you take the train - be forewarned - the toilets are disgusting and not cleaned. And there's no buffet car - take your own food and drink!!!

At Pirot in southern Serbia, the train is boarded by smalltime tobacco smugglers. The train is taken apart by Bulgarian customs staff - so prepare for delays. It took me an additional two hours on top of the timetabled time to arrive in Sofia.

Good luck!!!

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 91
4. Re: Night train Belgrade to Sofia

Oh dear this doesn't sound good - we are planning t otravel this route in July/August this year and also having trouble finding information. I did find it on the Rail Europe site, but after they closed down for maintenance over New Year it is no longer there. And they have Belgrade as being in Yugoslavia which doesn't exist any more....so all very confusing. Maybe we need to rethink this section of our trip.

Any suggestions from anyone would be great thanks....

Halifax, England
5. Re: Night train Belgrade to Sofia

Hi - Because of the uncertainty of the sleeper trains, me and my daughters decided to travel to Greece using the Budapest, Bucharest, Sofia route instead so can't help you I'm afraid with the Belgrade route.

We didn't do a great deal better with this route either - going down was OK -had a lovely sleeper from Budapest to Bucharest, but on the way back, although we were under the impression we'd booked a sleeper from Bucharest it was actually a couchette - no problem in itself but, as it slept more than 3, to ensure that we didn't get a stranger joining us the quite intimidating train guy demanded an extra 50 euros from us! Considering we'd already paid a supplement for a sleeper we were naturally pretty cheesed off about this - but hey, what can you do? We paid up.

Hope you can sort something out and have a great journey.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
6. Re: Night train Belgrade to Sofia

I can't help but sympathise, the train situation is not good and anything to do with getting in and out of Bulgaria or Romania is worse or so I hear. Within Serbia it's very slow but reliable at least and then gets worse.,

Far better to have a car or book a minibus IMO, from Belgrade here is a site with some contact numbers: www.belgradeeye.com

The rail times are long, by road it's much quicker, however you can manage it.

Stoofer

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 91
7. Re: Night train Belgrade to Sofia

Haven't liked much of what I have read and with such a big trip and being so far from home can't chance things going belly up. As much as I would love to see Bulgaria and Romania, they will have to wait for another time - have scrapped that section and will spend the time in Croatia - which incidentally was what we had intended to do in the first place.

I think it will work out cheaper in the long run even with a weeks stay in an apartment in Split.

Thanks heaps for all the replies - this is a great forum to get all sorts of perspectives to help along the way.

Anne

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
8. Re: Night train Belgrade to Sofia

Hi Anne

Not sure what your plans are exactly and this is personal opinion of course but if you are in Belgrade then the Danube to Iron gate the Serbian countryside, country through into Bosnia and down to the coast and exsloring the coast of Croatia will be far more enjoyable than touring Romania and Bulgaria.

Close by Belgrade is Novi Sad a nice city in Serbia to visit, and in this region with relatively easy link is Budapest, a very fine city if you haven't been so perhaps Hungary is an option. Budapest worth 2-3 days in it's own right.

Stoofer

London, United...
reviews: 22
9. Re: Night train Belgrade to Sofia

Hello, does anyone have any information/ links on the daily private minibus mentioned from Belgrade to Sofia? We booked our flights and hotels sometime last year when there was a scheduled daytime train running - so we have to get there somehow! We will be there early March 2013 travelling on a Wednesday, so any advice would be very much appreciated. I know there is still a night train which is an option but would much prefer to do the trip in the day if at all possible.

Thanks you.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
10. Re: Night train Belgrade to Sofia

Hi JRP2000

The website I provided in my previous post has some contact information.

I think GEA Tours have a minibus option, see what they can offer by way of price or alternative recs.

As I don't use puiblic transport outside Belgrade much soI don't have detailed advice, sorry.

Stoofer.

Reply to: Night train Belgrade to Sofia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted