We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfagaran Highway

Which Romania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 3
Transfagaran Highway

Can anyone tell me when the Transfagaran Highway opens? I have read the end of June and the 1st of June.

I have been looking at booking a hotel along the highway and they all seem to have dates all year. So how do you get to them if the road is closed?

5 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
1. Re: Transfagaran Highway

The accomodation places are mostly at Balea Lake, at the top of the mountains, at 2,000 metters high. You can get there in the winter season by cable transportation, from Balea Waterfall to Balea Lake. As for Balea Waterfall you can go there from Brasov or Sibiu, on E68 (european road). That place is designated especially for extreme winter sports once the snow comes. Of course you can go there as simple tourists also. Also in the winter, will be built an Ice Hotel and an Ice Church.

As for today, seems the entire Transfagarasan Road is still open, since weather allows it.

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
2. Re: Transfagaran Highway

The middle section of the Transfagarasan usually opens at the end of June (but this year it opened on June 5 or 6).

The northern and southern sections of the road are open all year long.

As mentioned above from the end of the northern part of the Trabsfagarasan, at Balea waterfall, you can go by cable car to Balea lake, where are the last accommodations on the northern side of the mountains.

The southern part of the road ends at Capra chalet, last accommodation on the southern side of the mountains.

London, United...
3. Re: Transfagaran Highway

Piscul Negru Hotel,

Transfagarasan Road, km 102,

This is the hotel we will be staying at, how would we get there if the road is still closed? We are going 17th June.

Bucharest, Romania
4. Re: Transfagaran Highway

on 17th of June should be no problem, but please keep in mind that weather varies from year to year (earlier summers or heavier winters, and so on)

i just called at the hotel and the infos I received are:

- the hotel is situated on km 102 on Transfagarasan, so it is accesible from Curtea de Arges all year (Transfagarasan Road is closed in winter from km 104).

- there are 70 km from Curtea de Arges till the Hotel

- the hotel link is http://hotelpisculnegru.ro/ro/

So, in conclusion your trip will be ok, don't worry.

Enjoy Romania !

London, United...
5. Re: Transfagaran Highway

Thank you very much.

I always enjoy Romania, my son lives in Bucharest, but this is the first time we have driven the Transfagaran Highway. We are usually in Saschiz, near Sighisoara, but all of Transylvania is very beautiful.

Reply to: Transfagaran Highway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted