We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail Travel in Romania

Which Romania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dewsbury, United...
reviews: 33
Rail Travel in Romania

A few questions about rail trave in Romania. I am hoping to do a little travel by rail in Romania, as it is my fave mode of transport. I have been looking at the National Railways web site, which is good for times but not so for prices. I can only find the price for single trip tickets. Do the railway sell return tickets or should i just buy two singles? Does the standard tiket allow me to use any train but intercitys?

And does anyone have any suggestions of day trips on train from Viseu de Jos, (not the logging railway) i was hoping i might be able to get to the Merry Cemetry by rail from here?

My other journey will be Brasov to Sinaia for the day and Brasov to Sighisoara for the day.

Breb
1. Re: Rail Travel in Romania

Hi, de CFR site also gives prices for a return. If you select 'pret' you will get a new screen with 'tip bilet' on the left with a drop down menu under it. If you select 'dus intors' there, you will get the price of a return trip.

There is no standard ticket. You buy a ticket for a certain train, so for a local train or an intercity for example.

You can't reach Sapinta by train. You can take the train to Sighet (it is a nice trip from Viseu) and there take a bus or hitch hike to Sapanta. Were you planning on visiting other parts of Maramures or do you only use trains? Because than you will miss the nicest things of Maramures (the Merry Cemetary and definetely Viseu are not amongst them, imo).

Matthijs

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
2. Re: Rail Travel in Romania

The public railway company does sell return tickets, with a 10% discount over single tickets.

As mentioned above, if you want to see return prices on their sites ( http://www.cfrcalatori.ro/language/2/ or http://infofer.ro/ )m when you get to the price selection part choose "Bilet dus-intors" from the drop down list under "Tip bilet"

If you want to book online ( https:/… ), after you login check the "Return ticket" box.

Tickets are valid on a specific train at a specific time (respectively on two specific trains if you get return tickets). You can only use the train that's actually mentioned on the ticket.

If you do go to the Merry Cemetery (early morning train Viseu to Sighetu Marmatiei then bus to Sapanta) also try to visit the former communist prison in Sighet.

Brasov to Sinaia or Sighisoara is fairly easy, there are multiple direct trains per day.

Edited: 2:31 pm, April 01, 2013
Dewsbury, United...
reviews: 33
3. Re: Rail Travel in Romania

That's a silly way of buying tickets, what if I don't have a specific train I want to come back on? How do I tell the ticket office staff what train I want to get back if I don't know the times? Especially given the language barrier? Different country I know, but here in the UK you can use any train with a ticket. We will have a hire car too, but prefer train travel and we are in the video area mainly for the logging railway due to interests.

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
4. Re: Rail Travel in Romania

After some checking, it turns out ( http://www.cfrcalatori.ro/download/5055 - only in Romanian) there actually is a return ticket that lets you get back on a random train (but it has to be the same type of train as the one you used for the first leg of the trip). It's valid for 20 days and can't be bought online.

Then again, for all types of trains except commuter/Regio you have to reserve a seat, so it's quite possible you'll still have to deal with the ticket office staff.

If you don't want to use more modern means to keep up with the train schedules it would be best to write down or print the timetables (with the hours and train numbers) for the route you plan to get back on. Then after your day trip is over decide which train you want to take, go to the train station and if the ticket seller doesn't speak English point on your list to the train you want to use. Also write down your destination.

Maramures
reviews: 18
5. Re: Rail Travel in Romania

If its a short distance you can pay the price the railways are cheap and not to cheerful but meet the need. The train for Sighet goes from Viseau de Sus not Viseau de Jos, there is around twelve klm between them.As Matthius says the train ride is very nice as it passes through the villages in the Isa valley before swapping over and going through some really remote villages on the way to Sighet. The merry cemetery is interesting but as suggested above you can go around it in an hour easily enough and the rest of Sapanta is very touristy.

6. Re: Rail Travel in Romania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 05, 2014