We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Dog Horror Stories

Which Romania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Porec, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
reviews: 16
Wild Dog Horror Stories

Are the stories of wild dog packs in Romania true? I have read that they are abundant in Bucharest in particular (where we would only stay a day or two) as well as roadsides, parks, etc. We are planning a trip there in May. Although this would not prevent us from going, it would be disturbing as we are dog lovers. We have seen many homeless dogs wandering around in other countries as well but just do not know how it would compare in Romania.

What is the real story? Is it a true concern?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 123
1. Re: Wild Dog Horror Stories

We saw very few dogs wandering in Bucharest however in pitesti (which is not an overly known torusit area) we were awaoken at about 2am one morning by a pack of dogs fighting with another and wandering the streets.

I was more afraid in athens of the feral dog which had bailed up a child after savaging a cat!!!

Newbury UK
2. Re: Wild Dog Horror Stories

Hello,

Dont let the dog "problem" stop you from going. It is much improved from 3-5 years ago when there were 10 times as many wild dogs around.The authorities have managed to remove a large part of them up to now. You will of course see a few around but I personally have never had any problems with them in any part of Romania and especially in Bucharest

cheers

Porec, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
reviews: 16
3. Re: Wild Dog Horror Stories

Thanks for the information! You cannot glean some things from guidebooks...

All in all, Romania sounds like the perfect destination for us - less commercial and touristy than other countries. We look forward to it so much!

Bucharest
4. Re: Wild Dog Horror Stories

Well ,i live in the infamous stray dog capital ,Bucharest :))). There aren't any....no more. I am a dog lover ,and until now all my dogs have been stray dogs ,picked from the streets ,in winter...

Back in 1977 ,when a huge earthquale devastaded Romania ,and much of Bucharest , many people abandoned their homes ,because they were insecure ,structural damage could be fatal to them. They could not afford to take dogs with them ,because there was little time ,and many of the people who accepted them for a period under their roof , were against pets. Many remained without their master (over 10.000 people died in that eartquale) ,so this was the beggining. After this ,workers from building sites around Bucharest adopted them and feed them. They were keeping the area safe ,and were good company to them. But....they multiplyed ,and soon formed packs. These packs begin to fight eachother for teritory....and so ,in the early 90's we had an estimated population of 100.000 stray dogs. That's more than one dog to 20 people.... Many were violent ,as food becomed a luxury ,people beeing tired of them ,and not paying that much attention anymore to them. Sincer 1990 ,the city hall emerged a sum of programs ,including sterilization ,andeuthanasyes of old dogs ,helped by numerous non-govermental organizations. Now ,in 2007 ,you will not see a stray dog in Bucharest ,without a tag ,and surely not in the public areas. The only dogs remained here are dogs that live near apartment blocks ,and are fed by animal lovers ,and don't leave that area....So don't be afraid ,the problem is under control...BUT ,if you would like ,the Daisy Hope foundation ,has a large number of dogs ,of all ages and kinds ,all adorable ,funny and modest....Stray dogs are smart ,and don't need much ,besides some love and affection...Maybe you come from Romania back home with a new friend...

Check www.daisyhope.ro :D

5. Re: Wild Dog Horror Stories

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:12 pm, September 29, 2009
USA
reviews: 11
6. Re: Wild Dog Horror Stories

I live in Romania and have traveled throughout the country. It is true there are less stray dogs in Bucharest but outside of the city there are still stray dogs. Personally I've been chased twice. Many people also use stray dogs to guard homes they are building (particularly in mountain areas where you may be hiking). These dogs are often not tied up and can bark quite angrily.

If you're in a city you can usually avoid any dogs by walking around them.

My advice if you're going hiking or off the beaten path is to take some extra bread or salami in addition to your usual provisions. It's amazing what some bread can do in distracting the dogs from your presence.

Florida
reviews: 49
7. Re: Wild Dog Horror Stories

We visited Romania last summer and we plan to do so again this June.The " dog " problem much improved since a few years ago .I actually didn't see many at all.I am a runner and I had no fear running outside this time.

Mary

Carmarthen, United...
8. Re: Wild Dog Horror Stories

I have just returned from Bucharest, and yes while there were several strays on the streets, they caused no problem.

As much as I wanted to, I did not approach them, as I had also read about "savage rabid" animals on the streets.

It seems from what my hotel's receptionist told me, that many are afraid of humans after being mistreated.

Go, enjoy yourself in a (getting there slowly) beautiful city

toronto, canada
reviews: 4
9. Re: Wild Dog Horror Stories

I was in Romania last April and saw quite a few stray dogs in Bucharest. However, they didn't bother me or my girlfriend in the least. Mostly you would see these dogs in public parks.

It's another case of things getting blown out of proportion as far as I am concerned. There are scarier animals hanging around the rail stations there, ie., pickpockets, scam artists. But that is no different than other countries where a lot of shady characters use the big crowds of a public place to steal etc. So I wouldn't worry about the dogs.

Munich, Germany
reviews: 6
10. Re: Wild Dog Horror Stories

do not pay attention to the dogs and you will not have problems. if you are afraid, avoid them. that is all.