We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative bus from Zagreb to Trieste? Or maybe train?

Which Zagreb hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
Alternative bus from Zagreb to Trieste? Or maybe train?

Hi all!

I'm planning to go by bus from Zagreb to Trieste in the next few days and I only found the one that departs every day but Sunday and Monday at 5.30am.

Are any of you aware of any other bus departing later during the day?

I'm not considering the train because I read it's very inconvenient - but maybe things have changed? If any of you guys went by train recently, could you please share the experience?

Many thanks in advance!

New York City, New...
1. Re: Alternative bus from Zagreb to Trieste? Or maybe train?

I went by bus and train several times, but several decades ago. Bus was markedly more painful than train where I could stretch out in my sleeping bag and sleep like a human during the night trip.

Durham
reviews: 8
2. Re: Alternative bus from Zagreb to Trieste? Or maybe train?

You could leave later in the morning by changing bus at Rijeka. www.autostazionetrieste.it/index.php…

Zagreb, Croatia
3. Re: Alternative bus from Zagreb to Trieste? Or maybe train?

Unfortunately there is no any train options from Zagreb to Trieste any more, even there is no any train from Slovenia to Italy. There is a lack of passengers so many international and long distance trains are discontinued.

It seems that this bus is only direct possibility.

There should be more buses daily from Rijeka to Trieste. So you can go first from Zagreb to Rijeka, then Rijeka to Trieste.

New York City, New...
4. Re: Alternative bus from Zagreb to Trieste? Or maybe train?

There are train options from Zagreb to Venice: raileurope-world.com/train-tickets/journey-i…

Then take Venice Trieste train, if still needing to go to Trieste from Venice...

Zagreb, Croatia
5. Re: Alternative bus from Zagreb to Trieste? Or maybe train?

This combinations from the timatable are Zagreb - Villach (Austria) - change to Venice, then change to Trieste. It is a detour and would take much more time than suggested bus journey.

New York City, New...
6. Re: Alternative bus from Zagreb to Trieste? Or maybe train?

Agree that this will take longer, but nothing is comparable to travel by train...

Zagreb, Croatia
7. Re: Alternative bus from Zagreb to Trieste? Or maybe train?

Ok, agree that 7 hours by train is acceptable from Zagreb to Venice and more comfortable and interesting than a bus.

Istanbul, Turkey
8. Re: Alternative bus from Zagreb to Trieste? Or maybe train?

Thank you guys for all the information!

I too agree the detour by train to Venice and then to Trieste sounds good - even though on this occasion I have no time to do it.

But going first to Rijeka and then taking another bus from there to Trieste will do and will allow me to get up at a more normal hour than 4am :-)

Thanks!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
9. Re: Alternative bus from Zagreb to Trieste? Or maybe train?

Another option is to take a train to Ljubljana, change trains to one of the frequent domestic trains to Sezana and then take a short taxi ride into Trieste, it's only a few kilometres from the border.

Zagreb, Croatia
reviews: 12
10. Re: Alternative bus from Zagreb to Trieste? Or maybe train?

I think there's even a bus from Sežana train station to Trieste.

(It's actually so close and downhill all the way, that some backpackers go on foot.)

As for the "7 hours by train from Zagreb to Venice":

It includes only 6 minutes between trains in Villach. There's no way that the Zagreb-Villach train will be right on time in Villach, it's probably late more than 15 minutes most of the days.

Therefore, in order to be sure of the Villach train change, one would have to take an earlier train from Zagreb, meaning - the whole trip is actually 9+ hours long.

The bus is better. :)