We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days in Split or Zadar (between Dubrovnik & Mukinje)?

Which Croatia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 24
Two days in Split or Zadar (between Dubrovnik & Mukinje)?

Please, help me decide between spending two days & nights in Split or Zadar in late May.

Mom & I will fly from Paris to Dubrovnik, spend two nights there. Then we have two nights before we make an overnight trip to Plitvice Lake in Mukinje.

What do you recommend? Neither of us have been to Croatia before, and both love to wander by foot & explore by water.

Thanks for your help!

Zagreb, Croatia
1. Re: Two days in Split or Zadar (between Dubrovnik & Mukinje)?

As a choice of these two cities, Split is more famous than Zadar. There is Diocletian pallace, a UNESCO world heritage site and more to do and to see.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
reviews: 30
2. Re: Two days in Split or Zadar (between Dubrovnik & Mukinje)?

both towns are fine, each having its all culture to offer. you will have to travel by bus all the way, so my idea of a good trip would be to get closer to Plitvice, i.e. go to Zadar. Bus will take you in about 3 hours to Plitvice from there.

For more info on both, please check

www.tzzadar.hr/‎

visitsplit.com/

Edited: 5:51 am, January 23, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
3. Re: Two days in Split or Zadar (between Dubrovnik & Mukinje)?

Thank you for your input!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
reviews: 61
4. Re: Two days in Split or Zadar (between Dubrovnik & Mukinje)?

Hi Boneym,

The choice is between the two cities that are not comparable. Split is UNESCO's protected site whereas Zadar was destroyed during the second WW and you can't see the difference between the architectural periods. However, it is a splendid coastal town with good energy.

In Split you can see the Roman Diocletian Palace and wonder around small alleys, most of which host beautiful palaces built during the Venetian period.

Happy is right, Zadar could be more convenient only because of the distance from the lakes.

Enjoy your journey through Croatia.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
reviews: 30
5. Re: Two days in Split or Zadar (between Dubrovnik & Mukinje)?

If Zadar doesn't have so much as Split of ancient Roman stuff, it has several exquisite mediaeval churches, and still well preserved ancient Roman urban plan and forum, including remnants of fortress along its land egde (the old town is on peninsula...). It also has a great archaeological museum, etc... It also has the Sea Organ and Greeting to the Sun :) And it has the best sunsets in the world.

Ergo, both are good for visitors of all kind.

Edited: 6:01 pm, January 23, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
6. Re: Two days in Split or Zadar (between Dubrovnik & Mukinje)?

Thanks so much for the additional info! It is a tough choice, so I'm leaving with my travelling companion to hopefully have a preference based on your info lol.

Cheers!

7. Re: Two days in Split or Zadar (between Dubrovnik & Mukinje)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 26, 2015