We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice for Istria, Plitivice & Island cruises

Which Croatia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 21
Itinerary advice for Istria, Plitivice & Island cruises

I am in the early planning stages of a trip to Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia Herzegovina next year in September/October for about 6 weeks. I am flying from Australia probably into Frankfurt and then to Ljubljana where I plan to spend a week including the region around Lake Bled. From Slovenia, I want to visit Plitvice Lakes before arriving in Split to embark on an island cruise to Dubrovnik. I have noted in my research that it can be a bit tricky departing Plitvice Lakes by bus to Split. I have a found a one way 3 day journey by a company called Balkan Road trips that commences in Ljubljana, includes Plitvice Lakes and finishes in Split. I want to spend a few days in Dubrovnik, do a side trip to Kotor and then head to Mostar and Sarajevo, spending about a week in B/H. I am trying to work out how to fit Istria into the mix as I would really like to see Rovinj and some hill towns in this region. Depending on the airline ticket, my international flight will depart back to Australia from Frankfurt or Istanbul. Regarding the cruise component, I have been looking at a company called Dalmation Coast Cruises who use gulets including Andi and Atlantia. I am open to any advice and itinerary recommendations, including the most logical way to include Istria without too much back tracking. I will be travelling solo and don't want to drive in Croatia. Thank you

8 replies to this topic
Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
reviews: 30
1. Re: Itinerary advice for Istria, Plitivice & Island cruises

There is a catamaran running between Pula and Zadar in tourist season by 30 September, so if you can make it then, you will definitely not have to backtrack. so, Slovenia - Zagreb - Plitvice - Karlovac - Pula and then by cat to Zadar and onwards (the only backtrack would be Plitvice-Karlovac, 50-ish miles). From Slovenia, you will have to travel through Zagreb in order to continue in Croatia.

Adelaide, Australia
2. Re: Itinerary advice for Istria, Plitivice & Island cruises

Thank you for your reply. Is there a regular bus service from Plitvice - Karlovac?

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
reviews: 27
3. Re: Itinerary advice for Istria, Plitivice & Island cruises

Bus timetables on www.akz.hr will give you good information.

Edited: 10:33 am, September 16, 2013
Belgrade, Serbia
4. Re: Itinerary advice for Istria, Plitivice & Island cruises

I think it would make much more sense to go Slovenia - Istria - Plitvice - Split - cruise. It doesn't need to be directly from Plitvice to Split, you may fit visits to Šibenik and Zadar, too, I'm just talking about major points.

Also, Istria offers incredible diversity in very short distances. So, a lot to see and easy to do (with a car!). From the West to the East and inbetween. :) From Rovinj and towns to the North, through Pula and hilltop towns, to Labin, Lovran, Opatija and Volosko. From the sea to the mountains, from beautiful nature and scenery to great food. And don't underestimate the islands in and around the Kvarner Bay.

Adelaide, Australia
5. Re: Itinerary advice for Istria, Plitivice & Island cruises

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I won't have a car, which make getting around more difficult.

Croatia
reviews: 15
6. Re: Itinerary advice for Istria, Plitivice & Island cruises

I would also do the Ljubljana-Istra-Plitvice-Split route. I posted a link to bus connections a couple if days ago to another Plitivce topic, try and find it to see about the buses. I think the DCC is an agency, try and find a direct provider for the cruise, you will probably get a better price. There's always a 50% charge for single occupancy on cruises

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
reviews: 3
7. Re: Itinerary advice for Istria, Plitivice & Island cruises

It sounds much more sensible to go from Slovenia directly to Istria and on from there. There are buses from Ljubljana to Pula.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 19
8. Re: Itinerary advice for Istria, Plitivice & Island cruises

Very late in the piece, I know. We are just about to book the gulet Andi for late August 2014 through AS Cruising http://www.cabincharterincroatia.com/ One of the partners owns the Andi and they manage the Atlantia. The other partner Ivana owns a slightly larger gulet Anna Marija which is unfortunately not available for our dates. After a lot of research, it appears a lot of the schmick websites are agents for a lot of boats. Ivana has been incredibly prompt in answering all of my emails and questions.

Reply to: Itinerary advice for Istria, Plitivice & Island cruises
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted