We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest

Which Croatia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 3
13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest

Hello, travel experts,

A friend and I are planning 13-nights trip to the countries mentioned above in Aug - Sept timeframe and would like help/suggestions on itinerary, best mode of transportation, # of days in each location. Also would like to know if trying to squeeze in Budapest is worth it or not? My friend would really like to do all four - Croatia, Austria, Prague and Budapest, but I can skip the Budapest. We like culture, food, wine, going to places where locals go, some night life, beach, hiking, few popular touristy things.

So far I am thinking 6 or 7 nights in Croatia with day trips to Bosnia & Montenegro.

5 nights in Austria and 2 nights in Prague. My questions are

1. Is there room for Budapest somewhere?

2. What is the best option to get from Croatia to Vienna?

3. Does it make sense to stay in the Vienna the whole time and rent car to go hiking, wine country, Salzburg, Hallstat? or should we split 5 days in two different locations?

4. What is the best option to get from Vienna to Prague?

Appreciate any suggestions.

14 replies to this topic
Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
reviews: 30
1. Re: 13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest

that would be Prague 1 night - Salzburg (Austria) 1 - Croatia 6 - (Budapest) 1 - Vienna 3 - Prague 1, by train.

it's a lot of wishes, and a small time frame.... you'd have to be very precise with your timing. also, for 6-7 nights in Croatia plus BH and Montenegro... you won't be resting at all... Budapest is nearlly impossible, unless you take a day from Croatia, but then you have pretty much nothing, except for a long list of places you visited in Europe...

Porec, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
reviews: 16
2. Re: 13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest

Wow. I personally would not attempt this as much of your time would be spent in transit. You could not possibly get to "know" an area with this itinerary. Each region in Croatia alone warrants this amount of time. It does not make logistical sense to try to see it all. With only 13 days I recommend focusing on 3 regions. Tough choice as the places you list are all so lovely!

Where are you flying into/out of? This is crucial.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
reviews: 21
3. Re: 13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest

Know all these places well and to me Prague is the one geographicaly the furthest away from all the others..as asked above where do you fly? If you land in Prague and return from say Dubrovnik ok..but if you land in Vienna, then you are travelling in reverse to go to Prague, and then recover your track to come back towards Vienna, maybe Budapest and then Croatia! If it were me price wise from the US Munich airport is your best bet most direct flights, 2 hour train ride to Salzburg, 2 days there yes Hallstat is superb, then train about 3 hours to Vienna for a couple of nights, then train 2 hours to Budapest for a couple of nights, then train 7 hours to Zagreb..here honestly with about a week left I would rent a car, go to Plitvice, Split, down the coast and finish in Dubrovnik for your last few days..Return flight from Dubrovnik-Munich-UsA..This can be done with all partner airlines of Lufthansa, Croatian and United!!

Edited: 1:04 pm, July 10, 2013
reviews: 168
4. Re: 13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest

just spent 13 nights in Croatia and can't imagine covering all that ground in the same time. You need to cut out some things...and then you mention a side trip to Bosnia etc. ?

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: 13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest

Thanks! We are flying into Dubrovnik and flying out of Prague. I was thinking we can start off in Dubrovnik and make our way up north to Zagreb? and then to Austria and end in Prague. if we have 6-7 nights in Croatia with no side trips, how would we split our days? We definitely have to go to Hvar. Any recommendations for places to spend Friday/Sat nights?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 41
6. Re: 13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest

Two in Dubrovnik, two on Hvar, one or two in Zadar and then one in Zagreb before moving on to Austria.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
7. Re: 13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest

I'd say 3 in Dubrovnik, to recuperate after the flight. Might I ask why you insist on going to Hvar?

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
reviews: 21
8. Re: 13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest

Sorry prk1541 in Chicago but me and happy above are thinking the same thing! ÍAre you practicing for The Amazing Race TV show because then you may as well go to Montenegro, Bosnia oh and maybe visit Dracula's castle in Romania too!!! Probably in all my posting experience you are trying to do the most in the least time! Also in September you should be landing in Prague and working your way down to Dubrovnik as weather tends to get warmer as you go south, not the other way around but kind of fits well with your concept for a holiday!!!

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: 13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest

thanks, everyone. The Amazing Race comment was funny! So we narrowed it down to Croatia, Austria and Prague! Now we are trying to figure out what is the best way to go from Croatia to Austria. Should we go from Zagreb to Vienna on train? where do we find the schedule?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
10. Re: 13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest

train schedules are at www.hzpp.hr and reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en…

Reply to: 13 days itinerary - Croatia, Austria, Prague Budapest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted