We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

History Museum or Rila Monastery?

Which Sofia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
History Museum or Rila Monastery?

Hi! I am going to spend two days in Sofia, with the first day visiting sites in the city center. For the second day, I am planning to go somewhere away, choosing between History Museum and Rila Monatery. Can anyone help me to make the choice? (I am equally interested in the two, but suspect if the History Museum is similar to Archaeology Museum in city centre which I will visit in the first day.) Thanks!

Note: I am aware that there is a package offered for visiting Rila and Boyana Church in one day, so I can see Boyana Church in both cases.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Destination Expert
for Sofia
reviews: 125
1. Re: History Museum or Rila Monastery?

Like in the Arheology museum you will see at the History museum many artefacts. At the History museum though you will.see a more thorough picture and much bigger focus on the Bulgarian history and old kingdoms, as.well as.some modern history.

There are a.few very famous treasures from Thracian times, including the one from Panagyurishte, if the original is travelling around the world for exhibitions, you might see a copy of it.

The monastery though is something very.much.different, as you know. There you will see not only the place itself, but also beautiful view from Rila mountain and you also have to opportunity to have a short walk to the grave of St. Ivan Rilski, the parton saint and establisher of the monastery and there to pass between the narrow opening between rocks for which.we have a tradition. We have a.saying that if you manage to pass through the narrow opening.then you have no sins and vice versa. :)

Although very much different, I would choose the monastery since it's a great escape.from the big.city and you.see something more traditional and old in its full glory.

The museum is really informative and if you jad time.for both it.would have been the best. But you can also get a few.books on history of Bulgaria and treasures.of Bulgaria - both.would compensate.

Enjoy your.stay!

Sofia, Bulgaria
Destination Expert
for Sofia
reviews: 125
2. Re: History Museum or Rila Monastery?

By the way, you can also visit this newly opened museum:

http://bulgariatravel.org/en/topical/48

it's at the crypt of the St. Sophia church. I haven't been there yet but from photos uploaded on the Facebook page of our travel site

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

it looks fantastic.

Sofia
Destination Expert
for Sofia, Bulgaria
reviews: 50
3. Re: History Museum or Rila Monastery?

Hello!

I would choose Rila Monastery. In case you are not really interested in history, the Monastery is a "must-see". In addition, you will be able to admire a part of the picturesque and beatiful nature of Bulgaria (Rila Mountain) on your way to the monastery and back!

Sofia, Bulgaria
4. Re: History Museum or Rila Monastery?

Maybe visit both and scrap the Archeology museum.

5. Re: History Museum or Rila Monastery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sofia