We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money & taxi's

Which Sofia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Weston super Mare...
reviews: 26
Money & taxi's

Hi, coming to Sofia for 5 days next week. Is it better to change a small amount in UK and the rest in the City Centre once we've arrived?

Also a bit worried about being ripped off by taxi's! There are 2 of us with small (hand luggage) cases, shall I try to book a taxi to meet us?

Thanks

Sue

Staffs
Destination Expert
for Bulgaria, Sunny Beach
reviews: 13
1. Re: Money & taxi's

Hi Sue

You will get a better rate if you exchange in Bulgaria. Beware of the kiosks as they may rip you off - Use a bank to exchange money (Take your passport).

Taxis - Agree a price before getting in. The true price from the airport to the centre is 10 - 15 lev. Many taxis will charge tourists much more. A bus will cost you one lev. If you have not booked a hotel try the Hostel Mostel (Google it) They arrange airport collection for 20 lev.

Have a good trip.

Best,

Paul

Shropshire
reviews: 12
2. Re: Money & taxi's

Hi Susan,

We shall also be arriving in Sofia for the first time on Saturday and were also wondering what to do about taxi's after hearing all the scare stories.

I emailed the BnB we are staying at and they advised us to go to

'OK Supertrans' who can be found in arrivals and the price is about 12 Leva or 7 Euros.

Hope this helps. We are looking forward to visiting this beautiful country :)

Weston super Mare...
3. Re: Money & taxi's

Thanks Paul, will take your advice, may evan try the bus, have already booked into Hotel Arte.

Sue

Weston super Mare...
4. Re: Money & taxi's

Thanks, if I don't get the bus, I'll use ok supertrans. Looking forward to the trip

Sue

Staffs
Destination Expert
for Bulgaria, Sunny Beach
reviews: 13
5. Re: Money & taxi's

I hope you both have a good trip. Some things to see in Sofia

Lady’s Market

The Synagogue

The Mosque

The Central Mineral Baths

St. Nedelia Church

Slaveikov Square

National Palace of Culture

Lover’s Bridge

Earth and Man Museum

Communist Party Head Quarter

Presidency

St. Georgy Church

National Art Gallery & Ethnographic Museum

Russian Church

Central Military Club

Monument of Unknown Soldier

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

Synod Palace

Bulgarian Academy of Science

National Assembly

Gallery for Foreign Art

Sofia University

Eagle’s Bridge

National Theater ”Ivan Vazov”

The City Garden

Sofia City Art Gallery

Archaeological Museum

Best,

Paul

Weston super Mare...
6. Re: Money & taxi's

Thanks again Paul, very helpful.

Atlanta
reviews: 7
7. Re: Money & taxi's

The good news is that taxi prices are regulated now, so in theory there should be less cases of tourists being ripped off. Do agree on the price before you start the trip, though. If you end up taking the bus, the trip to the center of town isn't very far. I've also just posted an article about things to see and do in Sofia which might give you some more ideas:

smart-trips.net/p/sofia-escape-from-ordinary…

Weston super Mare...
8. Re: Money & taxi's

Thanks very much, we're both into good local food/restaurants want to enjoy local food and maybe entertainment at a reasonable price, if you have any 'must do's would love to hear.

Atlanta
reviews: 7
9. Re: Money & taxi's

You might want to try one of the restaurants like Chevermeto that has traditional food and also a program of folk music and dancing. Some people think it's cheesy, but my Bulgarian family took me there for my first visit to Sofia and everybody loved it.

I also loved a little place called Beyond the Alley, Behind the Stairs. It was slightly upscale but still affordable with a great outdoor seating area and a good mix of Bulgarian and continental food. Pretty sure it's still there, but it might have new owners.

And some of the other restaurants I enjoyed most were outside of the city center. Many of the places on Vitosha Blvd and the other big streets are a bit touristy. Some are still good, but I really enjoy going out into the suburbs and eating at the little corner places where the locals eat!

Weston super Mare...
10. Re: Money & taxi's

Thanks, think we'll give the suburbs a go.

Get answers to your questions about Sofia