We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in mid april?

Which Sofia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
What to do in mid april?

Dear travellers, I am planning a 5-day trip to Bulgaria in mid April. I would like to stay 2 nights in Sofia and 2 nights in another interesting city (somewhere in the nearby of Sofia, let's say not more than 150 km from Sofia). Where do I have to go? Bansko? I will use the public transport in Bulgaria. Please help me.

Sofia, Bulgaria
reviews: 19
1. Re: What to do in mid april?

Hi,

While in Sofia you can take the Free Sofia Tour and get to know the main sites, which later you can visit by yourself. The National History Museum and Boyana Church are in the suburbs of Sofia and can take an hour with the public transport until you reach them.

From Sofia you may book a day tour to Rila Monastery. If you are on a budget, you may consider the shuttle service of Traventuria, which starts to run from mid April, every Saturday.

I will recommend you to go to Plovdiv - the weather will be warmer than in Sofia and there is plenty to see. It is better to go with a bus rather than train.

Sofia
Destination Expert
for Sofia, Bulgaria
reviews: 48
2. Re: What to do in mid april?

Hi!

I would suggest you (instead of Bansko - nothing interesting there except skiing):

1. Day trip to Rila Monastery from Sofia;

2. Koprivshtica - picturesque, small and typical Bulgarian town - 1 or 2 nights are absolutely enough;

http://eng.koprivshtitza.com/index.html

Enjoy your stay in Bulgaria!

Brussels, Belgium
3. Re: What to do in mid april?

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Do you know if there a bus/train connection between Plovdiv and Koprivshtica and between Koprivshtica and Sofia?

Brussels, Belgium
4. Re: What to do in mid april?

What do you think about this itinerary???

Day 1:

tranfers Brussels-Sofia (Bulgaria Air) - arrival at 1pm

transfer Sofia-Plovdiv by bus or train (expected arrival at 4 pm)

Plovdiv

Day 2:

Plovdiv

transfer Plovdiv-Koprivshtica by bus or taxi in the late afternoon

Day 3:

Koprivshtica

Day 4:

transfer Koprivshtica-Sofia by bus or train in the early morning

Sofia

Day 5:

Sofia

transfer Sofia-Brussels (Bulgaria Air) - departure at 3 pm

What do you think about this?

Philippe

Edited: 11:40 am, March 04, 2012
Sunny Beach...
reviews: 6
5. Re: What to do in mid april?

I am not sure it is worth flying all the way from Brussels into Sofia just to see 3 places in Bulgaria. Within 5 days you could include a lot more. Do you have a budget you wish to spend in the country as this will for sure help us to suggest an alternative and considerably more varied itinerary?

Phil

Brussels, Belgium
6. Re: What to do in mid april?

My budget for this 5-day trip is about 600-650 euro per person. This budget should be enough to pay my airline ticket (205 euro pp with Bulgaria Air - already booked), transfers in Bulgaria (by public transport), stay 4 nights at hotel (3 or 4 stars - bed and breakfast), meals, entrance fee for museums.

I have some conditions:

- I will do my transfers in Bulgaria by public transport (bus/train);

- Last night I would like to stay in Sofia (so I have the possibility to stay 3 night at different places in Bulgaria).

So if you know a more varied itinerary, please let me know.

Many thanks!

Philippe

sofia
7. Re: What to do in mid april?

Well the only possible different option is to visit Rila Monastery instead of Koprivshtica. If you were with a car, you could visit a lot more interesting places but that's another story. Plovdiv-Koprivshtica by a taxi, is a big NO, and you can see Koprivshtica in less than a day. Don't use taxis for such long distance, also don't rely much on trains, they come on schedule but they're much slower than bus public transport. And finally consider these places - Gabrovo, or Veliko Tarnovo. They are not more than 4 hours from Sofia, if you are with a bus, and connected with Plovdiv. If you wake up early every day and catch a morning bus, you could see these cities.

Easley, South...
8. Re: What to do in mid april?

I am interested in this topic. I will also be in Bulgaria in mid-April. I have no firm itinerary, but I have heard very good things about Veliko Tarnovo and I may stop there for a day. After that, I'm not sure where I will go, but I am thinking about taking a bus to Istanbul and then back to VT. I have heard the overnight train may be interrupted by floods, track work, etc., either in Bulgaria or in Turkey or both.

I would like to hear any opinions and suggestions about my ideas. I would very much like to hear good information about how to take a bus between VT and Istanbul. I have heard it is possible, but not when or for how much money or whether it is possible every day of the week or just some days.

Thank you.

Sofia
Destination Expert
for Sofia, Bulgaria
reviews: 48
9. Re: What to do in mid april?

@ Philpe M

In my opinion your itinerary is excellent.

@ Tom S

How many days do you intend to stay in Bulgaria? Veliko Turnovo is the previous Bulgarian capital and a very nice city. But combining it with Istanbul isn't a good idea. The distance is 500 km (one way), it's a huge city as well. I think you'll spend (even waste) your time travelling around...

Sunny Beach...
10. Re: What to do in mid april?

Philippe,

If you are at least two persons, your budget will actually allow you to book a private organized tour, that lasts for 5 days. More details for example you can see at this budget itinerary: traventuria.com/product.aspx?id=88&cid=52. If you wish you could probably negotiate an alternative program, which I guess will not make the price higher. But generally missing the Rila Monastery is not good idea and you'd better find a way to include also a visit there.

Phil

Edited: 3:45 am, March 08, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Sofia