We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sofia to Gabrovo

Which Sofia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hastings, United...
reviews: 6
Sofia to Gabrovo

How do I get from Sofia airport to Gabrovo Hills Hotel by public transport (pref. train) please? I do not drive.

Dimitrovgrad
reviews: 4
1. Re: Sofia to Gabrovo

The best option is to take a taxi from the airport to the central railway station. The price must not exceed 10 EUR., this is in case you travel in the rush hour.

Otherwise, you have to change buses.

Take bus number 284 from the airport and change it at Orlov most bus stop with 305 or 313 to the central railway station.

Edited: 10:20 am, April 23, 2011
Hastings, United...
2. Re: Sofia to Gabrovo

cheers - will I have to change trains at all - I don't speak Bulgarian as I have only before spent one week in Sunny Beach. I think I will have to get a phrase book.

Dimitrovgrad
3. Re: Sofia to Gabrovo

There are no direct trains from Sofia to Gabrovo. You have to change the train at Gorna Oryahovitsa or Dabovo.

I recommend you use a bus. The travel time is much shorter and there are direct buses.

Hastings, United...
4. Re: Sofia to Gabrovo

Thanks Dimitri. This may sound daft, but do the buses stop to let you use the loo? Are there toilets on the trains? How long does it take by bus/train. Looking forward to smelling the roses!

Edited: 3:48 am, April 25, 2011
Hastings, United...
5. Re: Sofia to Gabrovo

sorry to be such a pain, but I have just booked a room in Sunny Beach for the last week of my stay. Would you happen to know the easiest way to Sunny Beach from Gabovo? I can't understand the BZD timetable and the European one said that I would have to change 9 times, which can't be right. Maybe they thought I was trying to get a train from UK

Dimitrovgrad
6. Re: Sofia to Gabrovo

It is mandatory for buses to stop for a short break every two hours. They usually stop for 15-20 minutes at roadside cafes and restaurants where you can have a breakfast, use WC, smoke a cigarette (it is not allowed to smoke in the bus), etc.

Yes, trains do have toilets. Some trains have also bistro/restaurant.

The easiest way to move from Gabrovo to SB must be the bus from Gabrovo. I am not aware of the summer timetables, there are season buses for sure. When you get to the hotel, ask the staff, they can even book the tickets for you.

According to the site below, there are two direct buses from Gabrovo to Burgas - 6.30, 17.05, but I can't guarantee it is up to date. Always ask in advance.

http://www.gabrovo-bg.com/avtobus.html

Trains are an option, but you have to go Burgas first and then use a bus to SB.

You change trains twice from Gabrovo to Burgas.

See timetable here:

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en?ld=web05&seqnr=1&ident=n9.021265166.1303736149&HWAI=JS!ajax=yes!&REQ0HafasScrollDir=1

Hastings, United...
7. Re: Sofia to Gabrovo

Thanks a lot - the buses do not stop to let you use the loo here. Some of the long distance coaches, and the ones chartered by holiday companies have loo on board. I once needed ' to 'go' on a coach from London to the south coast (Home) and the driver threatened to drive off with my bag on board but without me - said he didn't have time, although he wasn't running late. I haven't yet decided which way to go, will make up my mind when I get there.

Hastings, United...
8. Re: Sofia to Gabrovo

Are the stations/stops written in Latin script as well as Cyrillic? I do not speak or read Bulgarian and my phase book does not, of course have place names in it. Do you think that if I asked nicely the guy/girl would write the names down of the places where I have to change? Thanks, best wishes, Kat

Dimitrovgrad
9. Re: Sofia to Gabrovo

All train stations and stops are designated both in Cyrillic and Latin letters.

You can always ask any co-passenger or the train staff to tell you where exactly to get off the train.

Hastings, United...
10. Re: Sofia to Gabrovo

Cheers Dmitri, hopefully I won't get lost! Arrive Tuesday, volcanoes notwithstanding!

Get answers to your questions about Sofia