We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 Safety in Sarajevo for tourists

Which Sarajevo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 14
2014 Safety in Sarajevo for tourists

Given recent political unrest in Bosnia is it recommended that tourists visit Sarajevo and Mostar, or is it unsafe or unpleasant? Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 239
1. Re: 2014 Safety in Sarajevo for tourists

I travel all over and don't pay much attention to the scare tactics. I was in Bangkok last month and took my cameras to film the demonstrations. I go to Iran without fear. I was just in Uzbekistan, Kurdistan etc. in the "5 stans" without a problem.There is a traveler alert service thru the Australian embassy service that will send updates on conditions all over the world--you don't even have to be Australian. They are more realistic than we are in the US, which basically would have you afraid to go out for pizza anywhere in the world. Perhaps a local in Sarajevo would have better info for you. I just stay alert and watch carefully if I'm shooting a demonstration.

reviews: 6
2. Re: 2014 Safety in Sarajevo for tourists

As we are planning to go on a south eastern europe car trip this summer . I am intereseted too in an answer.

New York
3. Re: 2014 Safety in Sarajevo for tourists

Thanks. I look forward to hearing from someone currently in Bosnia to get the answers.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 96
4. Re: 2014 Safety in Sarajevo for tourists

Hi Rosalie,

Sarajevo at the moment is more then safe to visit. A lot of the recent unrest was based in the city of Tuzla. To be sure Sarajevo too did experience some protests, but this was not in the city, rather out further. At the moment things are safe.

I recommended exercising normal precautions you would anywhere else.

As for Mostar, the city centre and the stari most are very small areas of the city, not near any govt buildings etc. Safe as well

Enjoy Bosnia!

New York
5. Re: 2014 Safety in Sarajevo for tourists

Thanks very much for your up to date information.

6. Re: 2014 Safety in Sarajevo for tourists

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, March 07, 2014

Cowes, United...
reviews: 16
7. Re: 2014 Safety in Sarajevo for tourists

Just returning from a week in Sarajevo. There is no trouble there. Good and lively bars and restaurants, some interesting sights, and friendly and open people. Go there and enjoy it.

Vilnius, Lithuania
reviews: 16
8. Re: 2014 Safety in Sarajevo for tourists

I am currently in Sarajevo and everything is very well for tourists, i stay in a hostel "Vagabonds" in the most central pedestrian street and feel very safe and lovely here as well as when i am walking around :)

London
reviews: 19
9. Re: 2014 Safety in Sarajevo for tourists

Hi - we are in Sarajevo for easter on holiday from London. No sign of trouble and it feels super safe. The people are amazingly friendly and helpful and there are many great bars and restaurants. We are staying at Hotel Old Town which is an awesome location, with great staff. Definitely come! It's brilliant.

Reply to: 2014 Safety in Sarajevo for tourists
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted