We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from tirana to greece

Which Tirana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
driving from tirana to greece

Hi could anyone please tell me the easiest way to get from tirana to greece by car as i am driving. i plan to drive in April.

thanks

Tirana
Destination Expert
for Tirana
reviews: 7
1. Re: driving from tirana to greece

Easy is a relative term! It depends where you want to go in Greece. If you are headed for Athens, there is no real easy way. There are four crossing points into Greece from Tirana: Kapshtice (near Korca), Tre Urat (near Permet), Kakavija (near Gjirokaster), and Qafe Bote (near Konispol).

The main route is from Tirana to Durres, Lushnje, Fier, Tepelena, Gjirokaster and then out at Kakavija. About a six-hour drive if you push hard. The road between Fier and Tepelena is not yet modernized and is heavily travelled. There can be lengthy delays at the border crossing during peak travel times in summer and holidays.

The second option is Tirana to Elbasan, Qafe Thane, Pogradec, Korce, Bilisht, and out at Kapshtice. This takes about 4-5 hours. This is the best route if you are headed for Thessaloniki. The road from Tirana to Elbasan is twisty and mountainous. From Qafe Thane to Pogradec is narrow and bumpy and currently under construction. From Pogradec to the border is new, fast road.

If you want scenic and are headed to western Greece (Ioannina), go from Tirana to Durres, Lushnje, Fier, Vlora, Himare, Saranda, Butrint, Konispol, and out at Qafe Bote. The coastal road is beautiful and well paved. It is a long trip and has a couple of challenging passes, particularly Llogara.

There really is no reason to leave via Tre Ura other than to avoid the crush of travellers at Kakavija.

Drive safe!

Edited: 1:58 am, March 09, 2010
london
2. Re: driving from tirana to greece

thanks i reallyappreciate your help - i think i will go the coastal route - final destination is athens so we can enter into western greece

and i will drive safe

england
reviews: 10
3. Re: driving from tirana to greece

Hi,

I am thinking of driving from Tirane to Elbasan, Librazhd, Hotolisht, Prrenjas then across the border into Macedonia and Struga, Obrid, Resen, Bitola and into Greece at Medzitlija.

This looks reasonable on the map, but of course it's often deceptive. How is the border into Macedonia?

I am very grateful for any advice

Thanks

england
4. Re: driving from tirana to greece

Hi,

I am thinking of driving from Tirane to Elbasan, Librazhd, Hotolisht, Prrenjas then across the border into Macedonia and Struga, Obrid, Resen, Bitola and into Greece at Medzitlija.

This looks reasonable on the map, but of course it's often deceptive. How is the border into Macedonia?

I am very grateful for any advice

Thanks

Edited: 11:42 am, April 01, 2010
london
5. Re: driving from tirana to greece

hi i have been told the road to elbsan from tirana is quite windy but the rest of the way to ohrid is not bad. the border is fine you have to pay 25 euros if you dont have a green card with macedonia on it. i dont

thanks

england
6. Re: driving from tirana to greece

Thank you very much for your reply, it was helpful

Lund, Sweden
7. Re: driving from tirana to greece

Last summer I drove all way down from Sweden to Albania via Croatia with my lovely Volvo L 855 I left Albania from Qafa e Thanes, Albanian Macedonian border, then Macedonia Serbia Hungary... was all fine. As soon as you get into Macedonia roads are better...traffic signs and so on....

Be carefully when drive from Tirane to Elbasan...I would advice you to bypass it an drive Tirana-Kavaja-Elbasan and continue to the Macedonian border....

If you drive Tirane-Kavaje-Elbasan be carefully since there are no traffic signs and you might be misled from an roundabout near Rrogozhina. Even though I had Albanian map in my GPS (major segments) thats the place my GPS got confused so I had to stop and ask some people where do I turn to Elbasan they were very helpful.....I was pulled over from police near perrenjas but didn't get a ticket although I was 20 km over so be carefully since there are no traffic signs or very little noticeable ones....

Be carefully since albanians don't know to drive ...they dont respect traffic rules

Edited: 12:03 pm, April 19, 2010
england
8. Re: driving from tirana to greece

thank you very much. Will take your advice on board

Vicki

london
9. Re: driving from tirana to greece

hi i have just taken this route and it is not to bad. The worst part is tirana to elbasan it is over mountain roads and it is twisty and u need to concentrate.

Elbasan to the FYROm border is fine although we did wait for 30 mins. just bear in mind their are no rules in albania and everyhting drives how they feel fit. driving in albania is like driving in pakistan.

we went straight to greece only driving in fyrom for 2 hrs

england
10. Re: driving from tirana to greece

From Tirana to Elbesan is the side of the road you drive on where the drops are

and also what do you mean by FYROm

Thank you

Vicki