We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of the cheap hotels?

Which Papeete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 16
Best of the cheap hotels?

We have made a late decision to extend our trip to Tahiti by two days. The prize we won gets us there from Monday through Monday (8/19-8/26), but we are going to change our airline tickets to the Saturday flight, 8/17. I am now looking at accomodations for those two nights, and we want to economize as much as possible (I'd rather spend my money on black pearls and a few musical instruments to bring home!). The two best rates seem to be the Tahiti Airport Motel and the Tiare Tahiti Hotel. I have seen reviews for both stretching from "adequate" to "avoid this dump at all costs." Most of the reviews / comments for these places here on the forums aren't current, and I know that hotels can refurbish or upgrade and be almost unrecognizable from what they were a year before. Does anyone have any recent experience with either of these places, or have any other opinions or suggestions? (By the way, I haven't been considering a fare or pension because we get in so late, I figured it's better to deal with a hotel than a small family-run place when you're checking in around 11 pm. Is this a mistake?) Thank you!

Las Vegas, NV
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Moorea
reviews: 5
1. Re: Best of the cheap hotels?

Best choice would be Fare Suiss...BUT.... I highly doubt they'd have room at this late date. They tend to fill up VERY quickly. Give them a try though...you never know if maybe they had a cancellation.

http://www.fare-suisse.com/english/index.php

Edited: 3:33 pm, June 26, 2013
Philadelphia...
2. Re: Best of the cheap hotels?

I have sent them an inquiry. Many thanks for your always great advice, Patti!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
reviews: 23
3. Re: Best of the cheap hotels?

Definitely another recommendation for Fare Suisse, if you can get it! If not, you might want to look at Manava Suites...

Have you considered spending those two nights on Moorea? There are a number of great pensions and smaller hotels there, on white sandy beaches, walking distance to shops and restaurants, and reasonably priced. Try Moorea Fare Miti, Hotel Hibiscus, Les Tipaniers, or Fare Rotui (on Facebook) for some nice choices!

Edited: 12:37 pm, June 27, 2013
Philadelphia...
4. Re: Best of the cheap hotels?

Fare Suisse is booked up, but thanks for the suggestion.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
reviews: 27
5. Re: Best of the cheap hotels?

You might also want to think about what you want to do those two nights/two days. I love the idea of Moorea and Les Tipaniers, but if you're coming in late at night, the ferry won't be running and that rules out leaving Tahiti.

What is your budget? What do you want to do? Do you have to have AC? Have you thought about a food budget, if you're hoping to economize some? We do love the IC and starting rates there are about $220/USD/night. That's not budget, but you do get quite a bit for your money (food is fantastic but absolutely not cheap). If you want to explore the downtown, I love the look of Hotel Tahiti Nui (again, not budget, but fantastic location for walking the downtown and cheap eats); the Tiare Tahiti also has a nice location for walking the downtown and food but... I have no idea what it looks like inside. Tahiti Airport Motel is across the street and up an enormous hill by the airport--you'd have to taxi/le truck/rent a car to get anywhere else and I don't find that area to be particularly scenic or teeming with food options.

Philadelphia...
6. Re: Best of the cheap hotels?

I had a VERY good week on eBay, so we decided to take the extra two days at the IC, which will simplify things (we're there for the rest of our visit anyway). Thanks for the suggestions, all!

7. Re: Best of the cheap hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 10, 2014