We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise or Land Trip

Which Papeete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 57
Cruise or Land Trip

Hi - we would love to visit the South Pacific and currently have a cruise booked for March, 2014. 10 Night Cruise, visiting Tahiti and the Marquesas. $8,700 for two including flight from Vancouver, accommodation and of course all meals.

Wondering if a land trip would be better? We'd see less of the islands. Suggestions? money better spent on a cruise or visit a couple of islands by land?

Thanks

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
reviews: 10
1. Re: Cruise or Land Trip

This is very good value for your money especially if you are interested in the Marquesas. I have done this cruise and loved it.

Personally I would stick with it.

Regards BO

Vancouver, Canada
2. Re: Cruise or Land Trip

Thanks for the quick response. I think it's a pretty good deal, it's on Oceania's Marina for a balcony. This way we can figure out where we want to focus on for a land trip later :)

3. Re: Cruise or Land Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:34 am, August 27, 2013
Corpus Christi, TX
reviews: 59
4. Re: Cruise or Land Trip

What is your opinion of the Princess lines' Ocean Princess for a cruise around that area? I was considering it but have doubts after reading the comments above.

Vancouver, Canada
5. Re: Cruise or Land Trip

PG is not in my budget. I'd be looking at easily an extra $3,000 - $4,000 over Marina. And I very much want to try Oceania. I know 1,200 people is not ideal compared to 350 but PG is not an option that I'm looking at.

Las Vegas, NV
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Moorea
reviews: 5
6. Re: Cruise or Land Trip

Not sure how it plays into pricing comparisons...but quite often the PG offers free air from LAX to PPT.

The problems with the larger ships is these are very small islands and can get very crowded when over a thousand tourists all descend on an island at once. It really limits the availability of excursions and obviously greatly increases the number of people on those excursions. But if it's your only financial option to seeing these lovely islands, then go for it.

Vancouver, Canada
7. Re: Cruise or Land Trip

Cost wise for a 10 day cruise in a Balcony, Oceania is $4,400 pp including air from Vancouver. PG is $6,700 pp including air from LA so probably around $7,000 pp with the air from Vancouver. Even though PG is all inclusive, that's still $5,200 difference. I fully appreciate that PG is the ultimate cruise of the Islands, but it's just not going to happen.

Toronto, Ontario
reviews: 11
8. Re: Cruise or Land Trip

My husband and I did the Princess cruise (10 days round trip Papeete) on the old Royal Princess in Feb 2011 and are doing it again on the Ocean Princess this coming January. We thought it was incredible value for money in FP plus a great way to see a bunch of islands all in one trip. We also thought it would be a good taste to see where we would like to do a land tour next time, but the price dropped earlier this year for that cruise again so we just decided to book it instead of doing a land tour! Why not, we loved it so much last time! The only downside - it doesn't go to Marquesas, somewhere I would really love to go. I guess that is where we will save for the land tour. It is not as big as the Oceana, but not as small as the PG - 700 pax. Feel free to PM me with specific questions if you want.

Vancouver, Canada
9. Re: Cruise or Land Trip

Thanks, I'm a big Princess fan...13 cruises so far, but they're not in Tahiti at the time frame we could go. I think they go to late Feb/Early March? My husband is stretching it escaping tax season for the March 26th sailing.

Norfolk, UK
reviews: 123
10. Re: Cruise or Land Trip

These big ships are incredibly cheap and for a good reason. The sort of cruises I go on cost far more (about $15000 for a top cabin) but for that you get only 100 pax, free excursions, free wine, no gratuities and incredible access to the remotest atolls and landfalls etc. Personally, I could never consider doing one of those big ships and would prefer to simply see one or two islands and use hotels. I've seen 1000-odd passengers engorge on Bora Bora and it's not a pretty sight. If your budget is tight, use simple hotels and you'll have a far richer experience.

Edited: 10:17 am, November 09, 2012