We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth hiring a car?

Which Papeete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 88
Worth hiring a car?

Hi I will be in Papeete for 48hours before heading to Bora Bora, Rangiroa and Moorea and while in Papeete would like to check out the grottos and blowholes and hopefully lava tubes. (I am a geomorphologist lol) Id rather not do a tour that includes gaugins museum etc and concentrate on the things I would like to see. Does anyone know if there are any private drivers who dont charge the earth or if it would be just cheaper to hire a car and drive myself around?

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
reviews: 10
1. Re: Worth hiring a car?

Once you have managed the busy area of Papeete with quite a bit of traffic renting a car is a fun. On the other hand if you really want to learn about the island a tour guide always has a lot to share that you wouldn't know by seeing things on your own. I have done it both ways and have to say am glad I did the guided tour which of course with a private tour guide is much more then renting a car or doing a group tour. You may want to get in touch with www.maramatours.com and inquire about the cost of a private driver.

Regards Bo.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Moorea
reviews: 61
2. Re: Worth hiring a car?

ia orana

i would take a 4x4 tour with guide to get the most. Papeete itself is a zoo when it comes to traffic and even worse to park

check Tekura- Tahiti travel in Papeete.

Meherio

Sydney
3. Re: Worth hiring a car?

Hi thanks - I will contact both for prices for a private tour - as a person who works in earth sciences i know a fair bit about them but will be photographing them for future lectures...hmm...there is another angle there I have just thought about. Thanks for the info re Papeete Traffic downtown..and I really wouldnt like to get a 2WD stuck where one should not get one stuck :)

Cheers

Cindy

Sydney
4. Re: Worth hiring a car?

My second chain of thought is - hiring a student or contacting the relevant person at a university to do a private focused tour on the things I need to photograph for my lectures. The only problem i am having is..I dont speak anything more than rudimentary diveshop french and cannot find the relevant dept at the university. Could anyone help me find the earth sciences field or geography or engineering or environmental areas at any of the university or tertiary college levels? Would appreciate any advice.

Regards

Cindy

5. Re: Worth hiring a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 14, 2013