We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How should we kill time before our 2 a.m. flight?

Which Papeete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Lake Tahoe, CA
reviews: 17
How should we kill time before our 2 a.m. flight?

We will be taking the ferry from Moorea sometime in the afternoon (still need to check the ferry schedule), and will have quite a few hours to kill until our flight. We will have luggage with us (backpacks) which will make it somewhat hard to explore around town. Getting a hotel room seems like a waste of money, considering how expensive they are. Any suggestions?

Calgary, Canada
1. Re: How should we kill time before our 2 a.m. flight?

We are also in the same situation -and it will be on a Thursday evening so I cannot find any Tahitian dance shows we could go and see. Does anyone have any suggestions for our family of five...

Denver, CO
reviews: 20
2. Re: How should we kill time before our 2 a.m. flight?

There ie luggage storage at the airport available until 10pm. It is reasonably cheap. We stored our bags there and took a taxi to the city to walk around. The town closes up pretty early so there isn't a whole lot to do. However, around six o'clock, a bunch of restaurant trucks set up shop in the main plaza on the waterfront and offer very reasonably priced and ample portioned tasty local food.

Papeete is kind of impoverished and run down and there is not a whole lot to see and do but if you have the time you can walk around easily and safely. I even had time to get my Polynesian tattoo while there.

Cheers

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 10
3. Re: How should we kill time before our 2 a.m. flight?

I echo the suggestion above. We put our luggage in storage at the airport and take a taxi in town, have dinner at the roulottes, walk around and do some people watching, At night, best to stick around the roulottes area. There's a lot of people and families, so it's safe. Everything else is closed.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
reviews: 12
4. Re: How should we kill time before our 2 a.m. flight?

Hi hi,

Luggage storage rates and location map can be found at:

airtahitinui-usa.com/airports/Luggagestorage…

sunny regards,

shully

Calgary, Canada
5. Re: How should we kill time before our 2 a.m. flight?

Thank you so much for the suggestions and the help! It is going to come in handy to know how to store our luggage. I am wondering still- is anyone aware of any Thursday evening Tahitian dance shows on the island of Tahiti? I have tried searching online and come up with blank- but that would be our top choice to keep the kids happy and awake- but if there is no such thing we will probably take the suggestions to take the family to a dinner in roulottes area of Papeete. That sounds like the next best solution:) Thanks!!!

South Lake Tahoe, CA
reviews: 17
6. Re: How should we kill time before our 2 a.m. flight?

Thanks everyone!

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 10
7. Re: How should we kill time before our 2 a.m. flight?

Katkins - Unfortunately, I`m not aware of any show on THursdays. Les Grands Ballets de Tahiti perform at the Intercontinental on Fridays and Saturdays, and another good group, Tahiti Ora, performs at the Meridien also on weekends...

However, you may be lucky and get an impromptu show at the airport...It happened to us last year when a (hired) group welcome group of tourists from France at their arrival around 11pm. It was a very good show and everyone enjoyed it!!

Calgary, Canada
8. Re: How should we kill time before our 2 a.m. flight?

Okay- well we will watch and see if we also get lucky to see something at the airport- that would be very fun. Thank you!

9. Re: How should we kill time before our 2 a.m. flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 10, 2013