We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Holiday - Plantation Island and Shangri La Fijian

Which Sigatoka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
reviews: 1
Family Holiday - Plantation Island and Shangri La Fijian

Thanks for your advice Katt. I am still really confused about the accomm. I have read the forum quite a bit and thought we could break up the holiday with some time on an island and then some time at the Shangri La Fijian. I liked the pricing and beach at Plantation but the comments about it being like a caravan park have put me off. We have a cabin at a caravan park on the beach in Australia and I don't want to go there if it is like that. The other islands suitable for children seem a bit expensive if we are combining it with the Shangri La. Any other ideas for value child friendly islands or is plantation better than what is said on the forum???

Melbourne
reviews: 9
1. Re: Family Holiday - Plantation Island and Shangri La Fijian

When we were staying at Matamanoa Island we did an island hopping daytrip where we visited several other islands.

I know many people really love Plantation Island, but my family's opinion was that it did seem a bit 'budget' and grubby compared to some of the other islands. However, the food there was cheap and tasty.

Have you considered Castaway Island? We thought it looked really nice, particularly the pool, beach and restaurant areas.

As with Plantation Island, Castaway Island also seemed to have an excellent kids club and also lots of activities for adults too.

S.F.
reviews: 10
2. Re: Family Holiday - Plantation Island and Shangri La Fijian

Ac, not many on this site have the experience with the South Pacific like I do. Plantation is a terrific spot but now the time of year is critical. They have built up too much and it is very crowded at peak times. This is when I'm restricted to going and it has been just fine up until this past year. We found it too crowded and frankly are not as sure about returning for our usual trip. If we could go at a less crowded time there would be no hesitation. Frankly I would advise against ANY time on the main island. Outer islands are where it's at for being in Fiji. Pub

Portland, OR
reviews: 5
3. Re: Family Holiday - Plantation Island and Shangri La Fijian

ACTtraveller,

Pub loves Plantation. He knows a lot about it. I have only been to the island a couple of times and have stayed either at Musket Cove or Lomani. I did not like Plantation, but I did not stay there. I went to the lounge, restaurant, and walked through the resort quite a few times. I thought it was messy and not kept up. Maybe with all the construction that is going on they will fix that.

You might look into Musket Cove. The tide does go out there, but I thought it was fun to go out on the flats and look for shells and play with the crabs. The food was very good and the pool is great for families. You can also buy, at the store on the island, a BBQ pack and have BBQs for the family. That was a lot of fun. You can also go over to Plantation to eat and play for a change of scenery.

Treasure is another to look into. They have tons of Water activities. They also have a nice playground for the kids and have baby turtles they are raising. The bures were just renovated. The food is good. They may have a special going on, just depends when you are going.

katt

Canberra, Australia
reviews: 1
4. Re: Family Holiday - Plantation Island and Shangri La Fijian

I am thinking of doing 5 nights at Plantation and 3 nights at Shangri La. Plantation prices seem much cheaper. Pub or anyone in the know, are you able to give me any detail on the new pool and buildings happening at Plantation. Also how far away are the garden hotel rooms from the beach and pools?

Melbourne
5. Re: Family Holiday - Plantation Island and Shangri La Fijian

I really love Plantation...the garden hotel rooms are not far from the beach or the pool or the restaurant or anything. The bonus with Plantation is that there are many options for food..don't get locked into a meal oplan as you can go to the buffet or the a-la-cart or walk to Ananda's Restaurant or Lomani resort Restaurnat or Musket Cove Rest or the snack bar. If you want to do any of the water sports or day trips make sure when you arrive you go and book them early as they fill fast.The dolphin trip is good. Be sure to visit a village- either from Plantation or the Fijiian. When at the Fijiian visit Gechoes restasurant over the road - they put on a great cultural dance show in the evenings. I stayed at both places in january..and it's good to do both the island and the mainland as you can access different tours. Both places seemed to have happy kids everywhere.