We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Sigatoka

Which Sigatoka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Shopping in Sigatoka

Hi,

Our family went to Vanuatu last March and in the coming March we are going to the Naviti Resort, Fiji. Just wanted some information as to what shopping is available at this resort and surrounding resort. Also how far is it to Sigatoka as we are going on a shopping tour? What is the shopping like?

Sydney
1. Re: Shopping in Sigatoka

Hi well I can say I have been to the Naviti 4 times and everytime it seems to get better for us. You have probably read all the people complaining about the building and noise but I can honestly tell you that we were there in June and the building was in full swing and it didn't make any difference to any other time we were there. People just like to complain well that's there problem all I can say the staff, food and entertainment is great. As far as the shopping don't plan this to be a shopping trip as the resort has a shop there across the road they sell some handicrafts and as does the village next door. I can recommend you have a massage across the road at the blue hut and also if you are into hair braiding then across the road is the place to get that done as well as they do a perfect job. Sigatoka is about 45 min & would be a place to visit if its your first time its a market kind of atmosphere with alot of Indian people there and also you will pick up handicrafts and maybe tshirts but again I reccommend to buy from the locals around the resort. Going in March all the renovations should be finished by then so you will enjoy the massive new pool and probably the new rooms. Well I'm certainly looking forward to going again around the middle of the yr so I hope I have helped you out a little let us know what you thought of it

Hunter Valley, New...
reviews: 13
2. Re: Shopping in Sigatoka

Agree with everything Fijifun wrote...but would like to add...Baravi market is ont eh way back from Sigatoke to Naviti and we found on each trip there, that this was an amazing place to find lots of traditional fijian crafts at about half the cost of the markets or shops in sigatoka or Nadi. Hope this helps. Jill_R

melbourne
reviews: 14
3. Re: Shopping in Sigatoka

We stopped in Sigatoka for some shopping for an hour last month. There were a couple of up market touristy shops (including Jacks) that apart from having a good array of touristy things (t-shirts, carvings etc), also had some surfwear/casual fashions. The prices were ok (but not cheap). The Jacks store is very modern. There are other touristy stores that are not so modern.

There is a supermarket Morris Hedstrum (?) which is similar in style to Australian supermarkets from the 1970s. The prices for nibblies/drinks will be cheaper than that you can purchase at your resort.

We did go to the market, which while being colourful (fruit sellers stall & the guys drinking kava), is also a place whereby you will get encouraged to visit the stalls of the Indian women selling souvineers. If you go with them (they may grab your hand to encourage you to follow) and if there is more than one person, another store holder will try to separate you (to look at their store). It is high pressure selling at its best with offers of 'free' gifts for you & your friends, as well as array of compliments. Having said all that, I suspect if you said no and walked away, there would be no big issue.

Note that in general the shopping in Fiji is not that special. (You are hardly likely to hear an Aussie boast about shopping like those who visit Bali.)

I hope this helps.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 306
4. Re: Shopping in Sigatoka

We rode the bus, 45 cents vs a $10 cab ride and fun, into Sigatoka. We had lunch each day at Rajs Curry house...really good. We shopeed at the HM store for drinks, fruit, ect to take back. Try the hot bread bakery, especially if you go early, they had great scones, muffins. We loved the fruit market. Look like you know what you are doing, and no one gives you any trouble. We wandered through the kava area, just to look, and no one bothered us AT ALL. enjoy

Dallas, TX
5. Re: Shopping in Sigatoka

I second Jill's comments on Baravi Handicrafts (679 6520364). They have a very large inventory of Fijian handicrafts at pretty good prices. Not as large or modern as Jack's in Suva but much better prices. Well worth a visit.

They're located in Vatukarasa, about 10 Km east of Sigatoka.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 80
6. Re: Shopping in Sigatoka

I agree, Baravi Handicrafts is the best place in Fiji to shop for souvenirs.

QLD AUSTRALIA
reviews: 7
7. Re: Shopping in Sigatoka

The shopping trip to Sigatoka offered by the resort will stop at Baravi handicrafts on the way to and from Sigatoka. A private taxi from the resort will cost $45 to Sigatoka. The journey is approx 40 min each way and you get about 11/2 hr in town before bus picks you up. The resort only offers the shopping trip twice a week.

Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 24
8. Re: Shopping in Sigatoka

Just got back from Fiji a couple of days ago, and yes we also did most of our souvenier and gift buying at Bavari Handcrafts. They picked us up in a nice car for free from the Crow's Nest Resort and offered us all a cold drink while shopping in peace, no pressure at all. My husband had 2 beers! Ben who works in there lives in the Village across the road and for a donation of around FJ$2 each for the village he will organise someone to take you around. Prices are very reasonable and best of all nobody hassles you, they have a sign on the front window saying "shop in peace" and it's true.

My 8 year old son desperately wanted a Fijian Drum, which we purchased from Tappoo in Sigatoka for $54, this was the cheapest place we found this drum to be, it was fairly large in size. Someone from their Airport store said that he would never have sold us that drum fearing that Australian Customs would confiscate it, because of the pig skin top, but that wasn't the case at all. We declared all of our souveniers and told Customs we had the drum and they said no problem. Tappoo give you a receipt which claims the wood is treated, we didn't actually think anything about the top of the drum.

And yes the 2 indian ladies in Sigatoka Market will indeed try to hyjack you, I got sucked in the first time I went there, the 2nd time I went to buy fruit my husband and I held our children's hands tight and just kept walking and saying no thankyou. They soon got the hint and gave up, but we didn't feel unsafe there at all, it was just that they trick you into buying from them, when your back is turned they placed free bracelets on my 10 year old daughter wrist, and helped me find the best price for Pineapples then said in return for their help I had to go and look at their stall. Oh, well that only cost me $6, so that was a cheap lesson.

9. Re: Shopping in Sigatoka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 19, 2009