We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matamanoa Island Advice Please

Which Nadi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Matamanoa Island Advice Please

Hi there holiday people

Just have a few quick questions in regard to Matamanoa, My spouse and I are off there on the 20th of this month and just wanting to know what the weather will be like??? We are travelling over by the ferry which takes two hours one way, is the trip OK??? We are staying in a beach front brue and have heard that the rooms are not to flash, I am not going to have a holiday at the room but I was hoping that someone could let me know what they are like, bathrooms, bed, cleaness??? I have also read a lot about the sea snakes and sea lice, this has freaked me out a little, is it save to swim with these animals, obviously yes, do you recommend that we take some medical tablets/ointment???? Is is cold enough in the evenings to wear a sweater or just a nice wrap??????

Sydney, Australia
1. Re: Matamanoa Island Advice Please

Weather will be high 20's celsius during the day and high teens low 20's at night. Forget about taking a sweater you will not need it, you will spend most of your time in shorts and a t-shirt.

The ferry ride is fine, its a big catamaran for most of the trip. You will be changing to a smaller launch near Mana Island to get to Matamanoa.

The rooms are fine, when they are described as not flash it is mainly because they are due for an upgrade, ie last done in the 80's and looking a bit dated, particularly when you take into account that a large number of the other island resorts have been through renovations. The rooms are clean and tidy and spacious. The bathroom has twin vanities and is quite large and also spotless. The bedroom comprises two double beds, which are not the most comfortable in the world, but most people cope okay with them.

The Island has a great beach, with great snorkelling straight-off the beach. As to sea snakes never seen one in all the times I have visited Fiji and on sea lice never had a problem. No need to worry about swimming in the ocean, the Island is surrounded by a house-reef and is very protected.

The resort also has a great new horizon swimming pool.

Enjoy your holdiay I am sure you will have a great time.

regards

Daryl

Auckland, New...
reviews: 56
2. Re: Matamanoa Island Advice Please

I've not been to Matamana but have been on the ferry - its fantastic. You will love it as you go to a few other islands first so get to see a bit of Fiji first. The guy I work with has just returned and LOVED IT... you will too. It will be warm day and night. We were near there in June and it was hot during the day and pleasant in the evening. It will be hotter when you are there.

I have seen sea snakes off the main Island when I stayed at the Warwick but did not see any when we stayed at Malolo. You will see long things that look like snakes but these are sea slugs. These can be dark grey in colour and sometimes stripped but you can tell sea snakes as they are jet black and white stripes - very distictive!

Have a great time... Bula

Sydney
3. Re: Matamanoa Island Advice Please

Thanks to daryloc and scottygirl for the advice on the island, looking forward to the holiday.

New Zealand
reviews: 2
4. Re: Matamanoa Island Advice Please

I've just been to Matamanoa and loved it. The beach is stunning, as is the pool. While the bures are a bit tired, they are very spacious and clean. They are also beautifully positioned overlooking the beach, with good space between the bures. We had a week of stunning weather (July) and saw it at it's absolute best. Didn't see any sea snakes or sea lice, the water was beautiful to swim and snorkel in. If there is a breeze in the evenings it can be cool, a sweater wouldn't be required, but long sleeves would be good. We loved Matamanoa and can't wait to go back. The trip in the boat is ok, but having done the helicopter one way and the boat the other would do helicopter/seaplane both ways. Coming back the sea was rough and you go on a small boat to Mana to connect with the main ferry - we had a rough trip on the transfer to Mana, about 20-30 mins I think.