We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matangi, Moody's Namena, Qamea ...

Which Fiji hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
reviews: 13
Matangi, Moody's Namena, Qamea ...

I have been researching the best resorts for snorkeling and have come to the conclusion that Northern Fiji is the place to go and July-September are generally the months for: little rain, calm seas, and the best visibility. Can anyone suggest which of the following have the best (world-class) snorkeling?

Matangi Island Resort, Matangi Island, Fiji

Moody's Namena, Namenalala Island, Fiji

Qamea Beach Resort, Qamea Island, Fiji

My husband and I are planning a snorkeling trip for our 25th wedding anniversary in 2006, we are flexible, and we want to ensure we select the best resort to go to, and the best month to go. We are ALL about the marine life. It is the MOST IMPORTANT aspect for us.

We have been snorkeling to: Hawaii (Kona), Bonaire, Fiji (Marlin Bay Resort, Beqa Island), and Akumal, Mexico.

I have been reading the TripAdvisor Forums, guide books, etc. I find this forum particularly good ... especially katt332, she/he seems to have been to all of the resorts and I hope she/he will be able to advise us! Any and all suggestions are appreciated, we want this to be the trip of a lifetime.

Thank you! Sue Williams

sue_williams3@hotmail.com

sdwilliams@bendcable.com

Portland, OR
reviews: 5
1. Re: Matangi, Moody's Namena, Qamea ...

Lionfish,

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I have been to Matangi and Qamea, but I have not been to Moody's. Even so, I think the best place for you may be Moodys Namena. I have had friends that have been to Moodys. It is remote and not many people get out there. It is a snorkeler/divers paradise! You will see things there that you would not see at the other two resorts because not many other people go there and it is much more untouched than Matangi or Qamea. Moodys is more rustic but it is a charming resort. The owners are real nice.

Matangi would be my second choice because of horseshoe bay, and they have a shipwreck you can snorkel over. It is in shallow water and it has lots of sealife. The bures are fun at Matangi, if you can swing the treehouse bures they are very cool. They have sitting areas, a bedroom with king sized bed, an outdoor shower and a jacuzzi.

Qamea is a wonderful resort, it has good snorkeling, better than average although not as good as the other two resorts. I like the atmosphere better and the bures are a little nicer.

katt

Oregon
2. Re: Matangi, Moody's Namena, Qamea ...

Thank you, Katt! What a RELIEF to decide on a resort. In your experience (and your friends) what month would have the optimal snorkeling conditions for Matangi and for Moody's Namena? Moody's seems so alone out there in the middle of the Koro Sea, their best month for snorkeling conditions might be different from Matangi's. I am leaning towards August 2006 ... we went to Beqa Island end of June/first part of July 2000 and it rained 5 days out of 7. Needless to say I want to avoid that again, if we can!

I have been working with U.S. Dive Travel:

http://www.usdivetravel.com/index.html

They suggested Matangi as their top Pacific snorkeling resort, bar none! They do not list Moody's Namena but I will ask them. We had almost decided on going to Manta Resort, Glover's Atoll, Belize:

http://www.mantaresortbelize.com/index.html

Simply because it was U.S. Dive Travel's 3rd choice and was less expensive than Matangi. THEN I started looking at my fish identification guides and decided if we could possibly swing it money-wise, we HAVE to go to Fiji!

Thanks again! Sue

sue_williams3@hotmail.com

sdwilliams@bendcable.com

Portland, OR
reviews: 5
3. Re: Matangi, Moody's Namena, Qamea ...

Lionfish,

August is a good month to go to Fiji. It should not be as rainy. It is also not blistering hot.

Many times when you go snorkeling one place that someone else recommended, that was the best at the time, may not be the best when you go. The best snorkeling I have done is at Navini Island Resort and in the Beqa area.

I guess what I am saying is it is subjective to each individual and the conditions can change.

I think that with the resorts you have narrowed down to, you will have a great time and see tons of sealife.

You said you went to Marlin Bay, that has just changed names it is Beqa Lagoon Resort. When I went there it rained everyday, but I was there during their rainy season.

katt

Oregon
4. Re: Matangi, Moody's Namena, Qamea ...

Hi Katt: I know the weather is very unpredictable, but, I want to at least TRY to go during the least rainy, windy time of year.

Do you think Navini and Beqa are better than Matangi and/or Moody's Namena?

The snorkeling was not good off of the resort when we were at Marlin Bay. Of course, like I mentioned it rained 5 out of 7 days. We took a boat to Stewart's Island and it was the best snorkeling I have ever experienced.

Thank you so much for your help ... thank goodness I have a lot of time to plan where and when to go! Sue