We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time Fiji and scubadiving

Which Fiji hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
first time Fiji and scubadiving

Hi,

We are planning o trip to Fiji,mainly for scubadiving. We dove Caribbean and Hawaii, and we'd like to try Fiji.

I'm thinking 10-14 days, quite on a budget, with the possibility to take off from work in August or September.

When would be the best time to go for diving(we like warm water) and where?

Please give us some feedback, as we have to nail the trip in the coming 10 days.

Thanks.

S.F.
reviews: 12
1. Re: first time Fiji and scubadiving

Ace, Fiji is below the equator so just reverse things. In the north tropic it's hottest from May-October, South pacific, Nov-April. March - April has the warmest water and the rainy season is tapering off. I took 7 trips to Tahiti 4 of them fell in the months of March-April, hot but lots of sun and not days of rain like can happen in Jan-Feb. The best diving and resort combo would be the island of Taveuni. Lots of great dive spots. The Island of Kadavu has the Great Astrolabe Reef, resorts on Kadavu are bit more rustic, but Dive Matana is nice and geared towards diving. There are some nice beaches on kadavu. The Fijian weather is coolest in August, but still nice, (Hawaii or any north tropic locale in January) Water temps are coolest from July-September) Still not cold, as you might know from your other experiences. The best of the south pacific blows Hawaii and the Caribbean away. I hope you find this to be true when and if you go. It's a lot less convenient and it's quieter. People that look beyond the mainstream and who have an open mind will be rewarded tenfold. I understand the budget thing, and Fiji offers a positive exchange rate, unlike Tahiti which has become geared towards the Getty's and Rockefellers. It's too bad because if you have never been there, these islands put anything to shame, espescially years ago when less developed. Rangiroa atoll offers superb diving. Let us know what you decide. Pub