We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cereals

Which Avarua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Plymouth, New...
reviews: 1
Cereals

We are going to Rarotonga next weekend and are take food with us. We were wondering if we can take weetbix ??

Thanks Suzanne

8 replies to this topic
Vancouver...
reviews: 24
1. Re: Cereals

You can, Suzanne, but why would you? Why take any food? Raro has several well stocked grocery stores. Use the search feature and type in: taking food to rarotonga. Lots of discussion already done on the forum about it. Chuck...

Rarotonga
2. Re: Cereals

Kia Orana Camping912,

Just remember that when you take your left over Weetbix back home that it will be impounded by NZ customs unless it is sealed. One suggestion is to borrow a vacuum packer and you can re-seal your unused biccys prior to travel saving you heaps of $$$!

Pakou

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
reviews: 101
3. Re: Cereals

Kia Orana Suzanne, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

Yes, you can take Weetbix and other cereals with you to Rarotonga. If there are other dry foods and snacks that you are considering packing also, from long experience I know how handy it is to have some basic food items on hand to get your holiday started, and before you can reach the local stores.

Fresh milk is very expensive on Rarotonga, being airfreighted onto the island weekly. Coming from Taranaki, but also if you have family who haven't acquired the taste (yet) for UHT milk, you can also take milk in your checked luggage. I wrap a small child's beach towel around packed liquids. The small blue chiller bags that you can buy at supermarkets around NZ are great for transporting foods inside luggage, and are useful on the island for carrying cold drinks & picnic foods.

Hope your Saturday is going well. I'm sure that you will be looking forward to some winter warmth after the weather we have experienced this past month. All the best for your island visit, and happy school holidays!

Kia manuia.

New Plymouth, New...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Cereals

Would I have to vacuum pack to take them over there as they are not really in a sealed bag just folded ?

Vancouver...
5. Re: Cereals

Camping: Use the search feature. This has all been discussed and there is lots of information here. Good Luck. Chuck...

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
reviews: 101
6. Re: Cereals

Hi again Suzanne,

You can take your cereal into Rarotonga as they are. It's not a requirement to vacuum seal any foodstuffs for personal import into the Cook Islands. If you have any left-over food, perhaps donate these to the Creative Centre in Tupapa, or offer them to one of the staff members at your accommodation who will likely know people in their community who will appreciate a small donation.

Ka kite.

Hamilton, New...
7. Re: Cereals

Went for eight nights in May and honestly - food prices weren't that bad, and good sized supermarkets and a good range of products. Yes, you pay a bit more but you are on holiday, and we found eating out cheaper than home, and great cafes and restaurants to choose from.

Edited: 6:40 am, July 09, 2012
Papamoa, New Zealand
reviews: 5
8. Re: Cereals

Yes you can take cereals and basically any other food except fresh fruits and vegetables. Make sure everything is vacuum sealed. I basically filled my suitcase with lightweight packaged foods to last us the trip. It saved us megabux. Yes, you can buy food in the markets there, but most of it is double or triple NZ prices. While you're there you can get cheap local fruit, veges, and eggs. Meat isn't cheap, packaged foods are even more expensive. Have fun!

Reply to: Cereals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted