We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

capt. cook's legacy

Which Cook Islands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
somewhere in florida
reviews: 3
capt. cook's legacy

hi there. my first time on the cook island forum. being a desendant of capt. cook (supposedly), i was wondering if there is any historical part of the cook islands? or is it all resorts and beaches? what should i expect when i arrive there? thanks

Seattle, WA. USA
reviews: 2
1. Re: capt. cook's legacy

There's not a whole lot to look at as the native culture was not one to build enormous temples of the kind found in places like Thailand - for one thing the islands are all pretty small and can only support a relatively small population compared to mainland areas of Asia or even the Hawaiian Islands. There are some small ruins of Marae (temples) but nothing all that impressive. To me, their most impressive achievement was a paved road that ran all the way around the island (more or less where the "inner road" runs today, but there's little if anything left to see of it today. Most of the historical buildings that remain are from the period of European colonization (churches etc).

Here's a Cooks Islands' history site:

http://www.ck/history.htm

The most interesting fact to most visitors is likely to be the HMS Bounty connection - especially the fact that Aitutaki (discovered by Captain Bligh and the crew of the HMS Bounty) was the last landfall the ship and crew made before the famous mutiny (just 17 days later). I've no proof of it of course, but having seen Aitutaki, I have to think that the crew couldn't help but compare that idyllic paradise with the cold gray winters that awaited them back in Britain - and maybe, just maybe - that helped push them over the edge.

Ken