We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need expert advise

Which Cook Islands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 10
Need expert advise

Hello everyone!!

I'm planning a month long trip with my b/f in April '06. We have decided on the South Pacific but as it's so large - I'm somewhat confused about how to get the most out of our time there without feeling rushed. I'm thinking Fiji, Tahiti and Cook Islands - of course I'd like to see it all (ha, ha).

I've spent hours pouring over brochures and the internet and my brain is scrambled.

Our needs are simple: we like the sun, the water, very laid back activities and a chance to absorb local culture - not interested in big touristy resorts.

Any help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Sheri

S.F.
reviews: 10
1. Re: Need expert advise

Sheri, April is a great time in the South Pacific. Five of my twenty trips have in been April, all to Tahiti, all had great weather. Lots of sun. Tahiti's prices are in the stratosphere, only you can decide if you can or want to spend what it takes to go there now. The Mamanuca area of the Fiji islands is renowned for it's generally sunny skies, there are some nice smallish laid back resorts with good beaches and calm lagoons. Aitutaki is a wondrous place. it was very quiet and laid back when I went, I hear it's been a bit built up since then but nothing like what has happened to my first love, Bora Bora. If you decide on the Cook's, spend most of your time on Aitutaki, more reliable weather than Rarotonga. Fiji or the Cook's April weather should be just as good as it was for me in Tahiti. Pub

Cullman, Alabama
reviews: 27
2. Re: Need expert advise

Since you want to avoid the more touristy places, i would recommend going to Aitutaki in the Cook Islands. They have a lagoon as beautiful as Bora Bora and yet it is not a crowded place as the island is very small. Wonderful place. Even Rarotonga you can find somewhat isolated places where you can lay on the beach for hours and not see a soul.

Stay away from the larger and more popular places in Fiji or in Tahiti as they are covered up with vendors and crowded. You may also wish to set your sites on some of the more off the wall destinations in the south pacific