We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Montevideo and Buenos Aires with twin girls

Which Montevideo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
santa fe, nm
reviews: 4
Traveling to Montevideo and Buenos Aires with twin girls

Hi,

We are family of one year old twins girls and we are global traveller.

We'll be in Montevideo for two days in early March and will stay for two days. We are staying at an apartment in Ciudad Veija so we can walk to Buquebus terminal for our direct ferry to BA. We probably will go to Mercado del Puerto for food and trying to adjust the girls to 4 hours time different. Maybe try to get enough sleep after that long flight from US.

We will be back to Montevideo after spending 10 days in BA and will be staying for 4 nights in Montevideo before our flight back to US. We are thinking of going for a day trip to Puente del Este when we were in Montevideo. We need your help on planning our trip in Montevideo.

1. Where should we stay for four nights? We like the idea of Pocitos but I am afraid that it is going to be inconvenient if we need to travel with taxi/bus with the twins to check out tourist site at downtown.

2. Do they have a bicycle with trailer to be rented out so we can bike along the rambla?

3. Can we swim at pocitos beach?

4. It is hard to find apartment to rent in Montevideo area for less than a week. Can you suggest good rental company?

5. I know that there is a regular bus to Punta del Este, is the bus station near to the downtown of Punta del Este and the beaches?

We really appreciate all suggestions.

Lynne

montevideo, uruguay
reviews: 37
1. Re: Traveling to Montevideo and Buenos Aires with twin girls

1. Pocitos is a great area, close to the beach good transport

3. Yes , if youre lucky the river could be with a nice green colour if not brown redish colour but you can swim, malvin is much nicer beach

5. bus station is very centrally located , very close to brava beach , los dedos or la mano one of punta del este's icon, walking 3 blocks youve got mansa beach

good luck, milu

reviews: 24
2. Re: Traveling to Montevideo and Buenos Aires with twin girls

I loved Pocitos. I was there about 7 years ago on overnight trip from Buenos AIres. I would love to go back again. The atmosphere was relaxing and there were tons of great places to eat. Nice people as I remember.

santa fe, nm
3. Re: Traveling to Montevideo and Buenos Aires with twin girls

Thank you, Milu!

I have made reservation at Ciudad vieja a week before your reply! Now I wonder if I made a mistake by not staying at pocitos as you recommended! We will make the best out of our stay in ciudad vieja.

Yes, definitely will visit pocitos so my girls can play with the sand. We are planning to go to colonia from Montevideo. How to get to colonia from Montevideo by bus? Is the bus station located right in the colonia town? How frequent is the bus? The day trip is possible?

Thanks again, Milu!

santa fe, nm
4. Re: Traveling to Montevideo and Buenos Aires with twin girls

Thank you, Milu!

I have made reservation at Ciudad vieja a week before your reply! Now I wonder if I made a mistake by not staying at pocitos as you recommended! We will make the best out of our stay in ciudad vieja.

Yes, definitely will visit pocitos so my girls can play with the sand. We are planning to go to colonia from Montevideo. How to get to colonia from Montevideo by bus? Is the bus station located right in the colonia town? How frequent is the bus? The day trip is possible?

Thanks again, Milu!

santa fe, nm
5. Re: Traveling to Montevideo and Buenos Aires with twin girls

Thanks otroviaje!

Unfortunately, I've made reservation at ciudad vieja and will visit pocitos for sure! How to get to pocitos from ciudad vieja by bus? How much will it cost by taxi? Is playa Ramirez area safe?

montevideo, uruguay
6. Re: Traveling to Montevideo and Buenos Aires with twin girls

You can go by bus, search www.trescruces.com.uy/horarios.php, every hour there is a bus, the bus station in colonia is centrally located. Colonia is a very nice place and the girls could enjoy the sand and the river there too.

from ciudad vieja to pocitos you ve got several buses: 14 / 121/ 116 a good option is to take D1 , you'll be more comfortable. for more details see www.montevideobus.com.uy/

About safety be sure not to show valuables cameras etc, or leave your bag hanging on your shoulder at any place. At ciudad vieja take the streets recommended by Policia Turistica, they are making a big effort to keep the place safe ... pick pockets and people asking for money are frequent

Playa Ramirez is not one of my favourites, avoid it on sat & sundays afternoon . A place your little twins may like is Parque Rodo infantil very close to playa ramirez but facing , Bv Artigas & Tomas Giribaldi> old mechanic games like carrousel, etc and for adults you ve got an art museum to see something of uruguayn art Museo Nacional de artes Visuales

montevideo, uruguay
7. Re: Traveling to Montevideo and Buenos Aires with twin girls

the taxi from ciudad viaje to pocitos 200 pesos uruguayos

8. Re: Traveling to Montevideo and Buenos Aires with twin girls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, June 06, 2013