We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver/Tour Guide for few hours in Ollantaytambo

Which Ollantaytambo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville...
reviews: 9
Driver/Tour Guide for few hours in Ollantaytambo

After hiking the Inca Trail and spending an extra night in Aguas Calientes, we will be taking a morning train back to Ollantaytambo, getting in around 11am. Is it possible to find a tour guide/tour company that would take us around to the ruins in Ollantaytambo (or are they walkable from the train station?) . Then, we will need to get back to Cuzco for the night. Could either take the bus, or possibly the driver could drive us back to Cuzco? Thoughts? There will be 4 of us-2 adults and 2 children. We're trying to do this semi economically.

Thanks!

Jacksonville...
1. Re: Driver/Tour Guide for few hours in Ollantaytambo

Just to add on to my above comment, I suppose we could just take a taxi to the ruins? What about hiring a driver all the way back to Cuzco that would potentially make an extra stop or two, like in Moray or Moras? I guess I'm more concerned about finding an economical, reliable driver than the tour guide portion, but if there is a combo of the two all the better. Again, we'll be 4 people, so not sure how they price.

Thanks!

Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
2. Re: Driver/Tour Guide for few hours in Ollantaytambo

Have a look at a map of Ollantaytambo...

andeantravelweb.com/peru/…ollantaytambo.html

The fortress is only a short walk from the train station and while I dont think you really need one theres almost certain a guide at the site which you can hire if you desire. If you dont fancy walking theres sure to be Tuk-Tuks for hire to take you.

Dont forget to save some time to wander the town itself and if you are hungry may I suggest the Hearts Cafe www.heartscafe.org located at the tee junction between the train station, the fortress, and the main square.

As for getting to Cusco...hire a taxi and negotiate with them to stop and visit Maras and Moray on the way. Each site really only needs a half an hour or so...its more of a photo-op really....but you should allow around 3 hours at least for the travel time and stops. When my wife and I did this back in 2010 it cost 70 soles.

Edited: 10:30 am, December 02, 2012
Jacksonville...
3. Re: Driver/Tour Guide for few hours in Ollantaytambo

Thanks--that is very helpful!! This may be a silly question, but is it pretty easy to hire/find a taxi? I assume back at the train station would be the best option.

Do you think 3-4 hours would be enough time in Ollantaytambo? If not, we'd just skip the extra stops in Maras and Moray, although I suppose we can simply play that by ear too depending on how we feel.

Thanks!

Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
4. Re: Driver/Tour Guide for few hours in Ollantaytambo

3-4 hours for Ollantaytambo is plenty in my opinion. The fortress isnt that big...it will all depend on how much time you want to spend there but really you could walk up the one side, have a look around and take some photos, and walk down the other side in under a half an hour if you really wanted.

We hired our taxi from the main square in town as thats where we saw them all parked...I cant rememeber if we saw any taxis directly at the train station.

Jacksonville...
5. Re: Driver/Tour Guide for few hours in Ollantaytambo

Great...that is perfect then...thanks again!

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
6. Re: Driver/Tour Guide for few hours in Ollantaytambo

Taxis both in the main square as well outside the train station, depending on the time of day. Look for one with seatbelts!

If you have any problems finding one, stop into KB Tambo across from Hearts Cafe, they have a list and phone numbers of the approved taxi drivers. Note that the police in the SV love to stop taxis with tourists and ask for papers. Don't be alarmed, it is normal and for your safety.

Hearts Cafe is okay, but be aware that they can be EXTREMELY slow at times. I think they have just gotten too popular.

Edited: 7:22 pm, December 02, 2012
Cusco, Peru
reviews: 33
7. Re: Driver/Tour Guide for few hours in Ollantaytambo

As previously stated, you should have no problem finding a car and driver, if you want to check into a tour, there are 2 tour companies on the main plaza, one on the North side and one on the South, not sure what they offer as we usually visit on Sunday and they have always been closed.

Ohio
reviews: 359
8. Re: Driver/Tour Guide for few hours in Ollantaytambo

What are the hours for the ruins? I can't find them anywhere! thanks!

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 33
9. Re: Driver/Tour Guide for few hours in Ollantaytambo

7am to 6pm

Ohio
reviews: 359
10. Re: Driver/Tour Guide for few hours in Ollantaytambo

Thank you!