We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why stop in Moray/Moras

Which Ollantaytambo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
reviews: 17
Why stop in Moray/Moras

We are starting to plan our 2013 trip and from all we read it makes sense to get to Cuzco and get a decent taxi price to Oly and chill out a few days before MP. I am kind of a history nut and we have seen the main sites of the Maya and Aztec. I read on one site the Incas won big at Oly. In any event reading this site everyone says see Maras/Moray which is not in the history books except as a crop circle site? This is probably the first of many stupid questions before we leave Illinois (where we also have crop circles!)=Thanks

Ica, Peru
1. Re: Why stop in Moray/Moras

Places can be worth the time to visit, without being historically important. Neither the salt mines at Maras, nor Moray, are very important historically but they are beautiful and memorable places.

How many Incan salt mines have you seen in your life, composed of thousands of circular salt pools? It is a very memorable sight, and tourists take a ton of photos here. Many tourists get "ruins fatigue" from seeing so many different stone huts and structures, and a salt mine is a welcome change.

And Moray is not just "crop circles", it is a mysterious set of circular terraces built into a deep valley.

The area around these sites has some of the most beautiful scenery in the entire state of Cusco, and the towns are lovely and quaint.

Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
2. Re: Why stop in Moray/Moras

They arent "crop circles" but agricultural planting terraces in the shape of circles. If only a quick stop to have a wander and take some photos I would say if you are already travelling between Urubamaba and Cusco and have the means and time then why not stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maras,_Peru

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moray_(Inca_ruin)

Panajachel...
reviews: 52
3. Re: Why stop in Moray/Moras

I just returned from a lecture by Paolo Greer, who says Maray wasn't agricultural at all - soil samples show no evidence of it. He believes it's just a collapsed cavern that the Incas gussied up the way they carved every rock they could get their hands on. Whatever they were, it's certainly a beautiful and compelling site.

Ica, Peru
4. Re: Why stop in Moray/Moras

I'm sorry, that theory I don't believe for one moment: the terraces at Moray are far too perfect to be a fallen cavern that has been gussied up!

illinois
5. Re: Why stop in Moray/Moras

Your discussion alone makes it interesting. I assume November would be a good time to visit. Does one ask the cab driver to detour to see these or a side trip from Oly? thanks again.

Maryville, TN
reviews: 2
6. Re: Why stop in Moray/Moras

I definitely recommend Moras and Maray on the way to Ollantaytambo. Pretty quick stops, and the salt mines are really neat. It is nice going there because you get off the main roads where the scenery is beautiful and very calm.

I was with a tour operator so can't help with the cab driver question.

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 13
7. Re: Why stop in Moray/Moras

Hey Greg,

Maras and Moray are very neat to see. Like other posters have said, Maras is a working salt mine and the contrast between the salt and the surrounding landscape is amazing. Moray is a set of agriculture terraces, these are very neat to see but do not have the awe grasping initial reaction that the salt mines do. The best part about visiting these sites is getting to drive through the rural landscape, seeing the small villages and the peaks of the Andes and seeing the mountain caracara (falcon like bird) riding the updrafts created by the terraces throughout. When I went we rented a guide from Ollantaytambo to take us to Maras and Moray, i think we agreed on somewhere around $50US for the 3-4 hour adventure for 2 people. You will also need to purchase a ticket that will get you into these attractions as well as a few others around Cusco. The ticket is somewhat expensive and there are two levels. Regardless of the cost I would definitely recommend seeing theses sites!

Los Angeles
reviews: 16
8. Re: Why stop in Moray/Moras

We had our hotel in Ollantay arrange a taxi to pick us up at the airport and take us by those sites on our way to Ollantay. The fee was $75. I'm sure it could be done for less if arranged on your own, but having a trust worthy taxi waiting for us after our long flights down from the Los Angeles was nice. Especially since we'd be leaving our bags with him to walk around the sites.

We bought the partial Boleto Touristico (circuit 3) at Moray since we planned to visit Ollantay that day too. The man at Moray said we could just pay 10 soles each to get into Moray if we didn't want the Boleto Touristico. The ticket to the salt mines was really cheap. I forget how much though, maybe 4 or 5 soles.

As stated above the scenery around these areas is just beautiful!

orlando, fl
9. Re: Why stop in Moray/Moras

It sounds like you said you could purchase your tickets to the site at the site? Is that correct?

Which hotel did you stay at?

Los Angeles
reviews: 16
10. Re: Why stop in Moray/Moras

Yes, Moray and Ollantaytambo fortress both offered tickets right there on site and so did the salt mines. We stayed at the Hotel Sol in Ollantaytambo before Machu Picchu and the Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza after and both are highly recommended!!! The location of Hotel Sol right on the river with a view of the Ollantay fortress cannot be beat and the staff at both hotels were excellent.

Edited: 3:03 am, May 17, 2012