We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Machu Picchu/Cusco -- advice needed!

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles, CA
Trip to Machu Picchu/Cusco -- advice needed!

Hi everyone,

I am going to be in the Cusco region in November, but unfortunately for a very brief amount of time! As much as I would like to expand my travel dates, I'm restricted to arriving in Cusco on Thursday (too late to take the train to Machu Picchu) and needing to be back in Lima Saturday night.

As far as I see it, I have two options, and wanted to get your opinions:

1) Tour Cusco on Thursday, take the round trip train to/from Machu Picchu on Friday, and fly to Lima on Saturday, vs.

2) Tour Cusco on Thursday, take the train to Machu Picchu & stay there on Friday, then take the train back to the Sacred Valley on Saturday, take a taxi to the airport, and fly to Lima.

I was thinking about staying at Hotel Monasterio for Cusco, but had really hoped to also stay at the Machu Piccho Pueblo Hotel given the excellent reviews on this site -- which is the only reason I would consider doing option 2.

What do you think -- is option 2 worth the extra hassle? Will hiring a taxi from Sacred Valley-Cusco be a reasonable price/easy to find?

Also, I know it is already the 'wet' season by mid-November... knowing that not even TripAdvisor members can predict the weather -- how likely is it to be REALLY wet?

Many thanks in advance,

-Jim

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 318
1. Re: Trip to Machu Picchu/Cusco -- advice needed!

I would suggest option 2.

It will probably be better for you, specially considering the possibility of getting altitude sickness, which will be minimized while in MP.

The cost of a taxi from SV to Cusco should not be over US$ 25-30.

Be sure to get yr train tickets and hotel reservations in advance.

Its not REALLY wet in Nov, Jan and Feb are the highes average rain months with Nov at half (3.5 inches)

2. Re: Trip to Machu Picchu/Cusco -- advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 18, 2009