We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

22 lbs luggage limit for MP train - enforced??

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 3
22 lbs luggage limit for MP train - enforced??

Hi, we are going to Galapagos and Machu Picchu in January. My travel agent just informed us that there is a luggage limit for our train ride from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu of 22 lbs. I will ask my agent of course but just want to check here too for real life experience.

Each member of our family of 4 has one medium rolling suit case and one carry on backpack. I have not weighed anything yet, but know that our suitcase plus one rolling carry-on alone are at least 10 lbs + 5 lbs already. My concern is my camera equipment (professional grade Canon 1D with long lenses and wide angle zooms) and computer would add 15-20 lbs or so. I am already at 35-40 lbs before clothing/shoes/etc.

So the question please for those who have taken this train:

1. Did they enforce this rule strictly? As in 100% strict?

2. Did they actually weigh the luggage and if you exceed you have to leave luggage at train station's locker, or something like that?

Thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
1. Re: 22 lbs luggage limit for MP train - enforced??

Most people leave their large suitcases at their Cusco or Sacred Valley hotel & only take what is absolutely necessary for an overnight stay -- if they are staying. A daypack or tote bag is a good size. I don't think they actually weigh the luggage -- but trains don't have much space for baggage & there is no baggage car. Really, all you need is a change of underwear, minimal toiletries & medications.

Someone has posted recently on this forum that there is one train (out of many you could take) that allows more baggage.

Officials at Machu Picchu require professional photographers to have special permits for taking photos at MP. If your equipment looks "professional," you may have some problems. They especially frown on large camera bags, cameras with large (or long) lenses & tripods. Do a search on this forum for more info on photography at Machu Picchu.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
2. Re: 22 lbs luggage limit for MP train - enforced??

Just bring an overnight bag on the train with one change of clothes and your camera gear and leave the rest at your hotel in the Sacred Valley. Much easier than lugging everything on the train.

On our trip they did not seem to be too strict as long as you were not flaunting the rules, but there really was not anywhere on the trains to put large bags. If your family of four shows up with four roller boards, four backpacks that you would be asked to leave some of your bags behind.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
3. Re: 22 lbs luggage limit for MP train - enforced??

Our ground agents took most of our luggage from Urumbamba hotel to our next hotel in Cusco after dropping us off at the train at Ollantaytambo. It waited a couple of days for us. We took small backpacks to Machu Pichu.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 3
4. Re: 22 lbs luggage limit for MP train - enforced??

Thanks for the very helpful replies.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
5. Re: 22 lbs luggage limit for MP train - enforced??

BTW, hotels in Cusco & the Sacred Valley don't charge to keep your luggage for you, and most (if not all) have a secured storage room.

I believe the train station in Ollantaytambo will also keep luggage for travelers, but I think they charge.

Reply to: 22 lbs luggage limit for MP train - enforced??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted