We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 nights....?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Roseville...
reviews: 2
15 nights....?

There is a plethora of information on this forum.

But I think I found a better way to begin planning/reserving hotels/tours.

Arriving in Lima around 11:00 am. Flight home is booked 16 days later, leaving around 12:40 pm.

Other than wanting to spend one or two nights as The Sanctuary, and whatever time in Cusco @ JW Marriott, we are completely open. Would like to take HB, at least one way.

If we stay in Lima (either before or after MP), it will be at the JW Marriott.

I started an earlier thread, and received some great information, but I realized I needed to be more specific in order to get the information we need first...so that's why I took another approach.

One more thing--we are not the type that need to fill every single waking moment with an activity. Some folks are running around so much that many don't really absorb or really take in what they are experiencing. I realize folks that do that don't really get to vacation too much or don't have the luxury of taking off two weeks at a time--that's not us. We want to take in these sights/experiences and not be so exhausted that the entire trip is a blur.

If all I get is a couple suggestions on how many days where, even that would put us in the right direction. While we are not fans of hotel-hoping, we do realize that is just part of this itinerary.

Thank you!

Dawn

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 33
11. Re: 15 nights....?

If you can get 4 hours between flights you should be ok, Lima's airport is nowhere near the size of LAX.

To limit the need to pack and unpack, Pick one hotel in Cusco for a base, it is easy to reach all of the tourist sights from there. I believe almost all of the hotels will hold your luggage if you are returning, but l would start asking for places that will hold your room so you don't have to pack and un-pack. This could cut your hotel count to 3

Roseville...
12. Re: 15 nights....?

Lyle--you wouldn't even need that much time to switch airlines in LAX. So you are saying that if we land in Lima at 11:00 am, we shouldn't book flight to Cusco until around 3:00 pm? That is crazy.....I would never have considered that much time in between the two--so thank you for that....would never have guessed we needed that much time!

Also, we are definitely staying at the JW Marriott in Cusco (points). But are you saying to stay there as our home base when we tour SV (and not stay in SV)? That would be great....for some reason, I thought we really needed to stay in SV for a couple nights....especially for the altitude adjustment.

I know Marriott will hold luggage when we go to MP for 1 or 2 nights.

Still have to figure out train.

Sounding better all the time.

Thanks!

Cusco, Peru
13. Re: 15 nights....?

The added time is to mainly give yourself a buffer in the event of a flight delay or if you get held up in customs.

As for altitude adjustment, if you decide to stay in the Sacred Valley, I would suggest Pisac over Ollantaytambo. I can tell you that so far we have not had any guests that have experienced anything more than a headache when traveling straight to Cusco.

I would recomend taking the train from Ollantaytambo, you could hire a cab for the morning, and visit Maras, Moray and Chinchero on the way to Ollantaytambo.

Roseville...
14. Re: 15 nights....?

Lyle--

I would love to visit SV, but stay in Cusco. I didn't even know this was feasible. It would be great to visit all of the surrounding areas, but to have one home base. They can keep our luggage for us until we return from MP for a night or two. Maybe we'll stay one more night and fly out the next day.

Thank you.

Dawn

Cusco, Peru
15. Re: 15 nights....?

No problem, The to main ways to visit the Sacred Valley from Cusco are with a tour or by yourself. You can spend a little time checking out the tour options on the first day to decide which way you want to go. Most tour companies will have a few options ranging from group tours to private tours. If interested in doing it yourself, you can ask the hotel to arrange a driver for the day. The advantage of doing it yourself or by private tour is you can go at your own pace.

If you do decide to go with a private tour or do it yourself, there is a small pre-inca sight between Pisac and Urabamba called Urco, ask the driver to stop there, it will only take 15 -20 min out of the day and it is a site not seen my most tourists.

16. Re: 15 nights....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 21, 2014