We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with my self planning tour to Peru

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
Help with my self planning tour to Peru

Hi all,

I am planning a trip with my family to visit Peru in August 2013. The tips on TA was great and I have booked most of my trip.

I am unsure about MP. I learned from one of the thread here at TA that I can book the ticket at cuscocity.com and train ticket is easy. How about the private guide at MP? Is it easy to hire one at the gate? I was told August is high season and might be risky. Do I need to prebook the bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to MP? I would like to get on the 1st bus at 5:30 am for the sunrise. Should I do the guided tour first or hike the Huaynapicchu first? If I do the hike first, how to get a guided tour for the citadel after?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Sosan

Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
1. Re: Help with my self planning tour to Peru

There will be guides for hire at the entrance to Machu Picchu plus no matter where you go its going to be so busy in the site itself you will enevitably end up near a tour of some kind so you will learn about Machu PIcchu regardless.

The buses run every 15-20 minutes from 5:30AM to 5:30PM and you can buy the bus tickets right before you board. The first bus will get you to Machu PIcchu in time for you to see the sunrise. If you want to see the sunrise you have to either stay onsite at the Sactuary Lodge or hike up from Aguas Calientes early in the morning.

Calgary
2. Re: Help with my self planning tour to Peru

Thanks JodoKast1221. LOL, get a free guide....

I know it is a stupid question, but I am going to ask anyway. Do I need to be inside MP to see the sunrise? If yes, how can I hire a guide at the gate after the sunrise?

So in a nutshell, I would be fine just go ahead to book the MP + Huaynapicchu + training now.

Sosan

Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
3. Re: Help with my self planning tour to Peru

Oops...Im sorry but my sentance should have said "The first bus will NOT get you to Machu PIcchu in time for you to see the sunrise. If you want to see the sunrise you have to either stay onsite at the Sactuary Lodge or hike up from Aguas Calientes early in the morning."

Montreal, Canada
4. Re: Help with my self planning tour to Peru

If catching the first bus of 5:30 to M.P. will not allow you to see the sunrise,what is all this madness to catch the first bus up? I can take the 8:00 o'clock bus and still enjoy M.P. for the whole day and maybe enjoy it much better since I won't be as tired,unless there is another reason which I have missed, apart from the reason to beat the crowds? Thanks.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
5. Re: Help with my self planning tour to Peru

You can go in and out at Machu Picchu all day, so no worries about going back outside and finding a guide.

The madness about sunrise is not something I understand either. It may be at the austral summer, you can get up there on the first bus and catch it, if you can hike quickly up to the Sun Gate. However the summer is more likely to be clouded over!

There are other less expensive agencies for buying your ticket. Many people on this forum have been happy with with Jessica, jessica@pachatusantrek.com

She sends the code to print out your own tickets.

Edited: 12:06 pm, February 14, 2013
6. Re: Help with my self planning tour to Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 16, 2014