We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guides

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mettawa,il.
reviews: 48
Guides

Do I need to line up a guide before I go or are there plenty when I get to the various sites. Is it possible to get one at the Cusco airport to take you up through the valley to our hotel? Thanks in advance.

Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
1. Re: Guides

You can hire guides right at the entrance to sites like the Pisac ruins, Ollantaytambo fortress, and Machu Picchu. I dont think you will find "guides" waiting around at the airport so if you want one to meet you there you should arrange it ahead of time perhaps through your hotel you are booked into.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
2. Re: Guides

What they do have at the airport is lots of agencies trying to sell you packages including transport to Ollantaytambo, guides and Machu Picchu tickets. Just keep walking.

Virginia
reviews: 8
3. Re: Guides

I suggest checing out Viajes Pacifico for guides and ground transportation. They are useful in an emergency also ----- trust me.

Virginia Beach...
reviews: 9
4. Re: Guides

I've been to Machu Picchu many times with my groups. We have found that booking guides in advance is best. You will be able to find "pick-up" guides, but they vary in knowledge and English ability.

In my opinion, a good guide can make a huge difference in your tours. People are paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars to go to Machu Picchu, yet they grumble about paying $100 for a guide. Good guides will usually come from Cusco, so their expenses have to be paid as well as their time.

Booking a guide in advance gives you choices and allows you the chance to choose the right guide for you. If you pick a guide at the entrance, you "get what you get."

Houston
reviews: 2
5. Re: Guides

JA,

If you are booking "in advance", does this include face-to-face talk time? Without it, I would require an example of the person's abilities being displayed in a YouTube video or some other way to check it out. Otherwise, it seems that you are no better off. Blind is blind and a lottery in every case.

I can't tell you how frustrated we were with our not-really-speaking-comprehensible-English-and-not-understanding-us-guide and how relieved we were to just throw the money already spent on him away when we told him no more.

Our trip to MP WAS arranged from Cuzco, 2 days in advance.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
6. Re: Guides

The other thing to be aware of in pre=booking is that some guides will promise to attend to you personally, and then on the day in question someone else shows up, such as the brother or cousin with lesser English skills.. Or a travel agency may have an English speaking booking agent, who will communicate while booking the trip, but a completely different local guide will actually give the tour.

So actually, you may pay more by booking in advance, and still not get "what you paid for". I don't think anyone will reimburse you for "failure to understand".

BTW, there are so many guides at Machu Picchu that you will still hear a variety of spiels at all of the key sites, the groups come through one after another all day long.

Edited: 10:30 pm, November 29, 2012
7. Re: Guides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, December 17, 2013