We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did Incas strech earlobes?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Easter Island, Chile
reviews: 1
Did Incas strech earlobes?

I can't think of any better place to ask, since here should be plenty of people who know lots about the incas.

Did the Incas elongate their earlobes? If so, was it common or only practiced by a small group?

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 31
1. Re: Did Incas strech earlobes?

I am no expert in Peruvian history but to the best of my knowledge, no the Inca's did not elongate their earlobes.

cusco peru
2. Re: Did Incas strech earlobes?

A spanish chronicler said: And had a single, "Inca" who occupied the cusp of social stratification pyramid. Followed by the nobility or "big ears" (people with big ears) named after the conquerors due to deformation of their lobes to wear heavy earrings and ornaments representing their difference from the common people.

Edited: 11:32 am, November 23, 2012
jersey
reviews: 19
3. Re: Did Incas strech earlobes?

Why the question i ask.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 279
4. Re: Did Incas strech earlobes?

Sorry to tell you are wrong.

The Orejones, as said above, were the nobility in the Inca times.

Check here for more information :http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobleza_incaica&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dinca%2Borejones%26hl%3Den%26tbo%3Dd%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D644&sa=X&ei=9vqvUOPLFY3g8AS1k4HIAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDwQ7gEwAg

Easter Island, Chile
5. Re: Did Incas strech earlobes?

Ah, very interesting.

The reason I ask is the following:

Rapa Nui, also known as Easter Island, had two ancient migrations to the island. The first ones were Polynesians (probably from the Marquesas). Many years separate the two events in history. When the second migration came, they were few, but wanted to dominate the island. They had a different appearance - short and wide, as opposed to the first migration who were tall (typical to Polynesians), so they were obviously not of the same origin.

The people of the second wave, that were to be called Hanau 'E'epe, had the tradition of elongating their earlobes. This tradition was then adapted by the Rapa Nui people until they became Christians in the 1800s. This tradition is seen nowhere in the rest of the Polynesia.

Obviously I'm suggesting that the Hanau 'E'epe were the Incas. There is also one ahu (stone wall) that very much stands out of all other ahus at Rapa Nui - the one at Vinapū. It has a great resemblance to the work of the stone masters of the Inca culture. Check it out over here:

easterislandtraveling.com/travel-tips/…

An elder once told me that the stones were cut with water, whatever that means. Is that something the Incas used?

I've also read somewhere that the Incas did travel by sea. I've also read a story about hat great Inca king, forgot his name (Yupaca or something?) who left at sea and came back several years later.

What do you Inca experts think?

Edited: 6:07 am, November 24, 2012
jersey
reviews: 19
6. Re: Did Incas strech earlobes?

I've seen pottery in northern Vietnam which has typical incan type designs. Either they are somehow related, or took the same mind expanding plants is the question. Certainly there are many similarities between 'hill people' round the world, and their customs and the importance of ceremonial connection to higher planes...

Chelmsford, United...
7. Re: Did Incas strech earlobes?

The Incas potentially could have reached Easter Island - a boat designed using Peruvian techniques managed to make a crossing to Polynesia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kon-Tiki

The legend you're referring to is of Viracocha (also known by many other names and with similar deities found in other cultures as well). He was the creator god for the Incas who brought civilisation, in the legends he departed over the sea. The legend is actually much older than the Incas and you find his worship dating back right to the first major Peruvian civilisation, the Chavin.

Easter Island, Chile
8. Re: Did Incas strech earlobes?

I did a search for it, and the Inca king I'm referring to is this one:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%BApac_Inca_Yupanqui

I'd love to see some 16th century drawings of Inca people with elongated ears. Do such drawings exist?

9. Re: Did Incas strech earlobes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, December 16, 2013