We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco / MP help - short time-frame

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Cusco / MP help - short time-frame

My fiancee and I are traveling to Cusco this week, arriving early morning on Friday and staying until the following Wednesday evening. Given the short duration of the trip - what would you recommend as an ideal itinerary?

My initial thoughts were to stay in Cusco Friday and Saturday, take the train to MP on Sunday, then back to Cusco Monday evening. Then two more days in Cusco.

I have seen that both train tickets and MP tickets are still plentiful, but have heard nightmares about acquiring them online. Is there a tour operator that you recommend? Or should I just buy once on the ground?

Also - hotel recs in Cusco and MP?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 33
1. Re: Cusco / MP help - short time-frame

Six days is actually a decent amount of time, I just did a similar Itinerary for an upcoming guest.

Day 1 – AM flight to Cusco, Airport pickup by hotel, Go downtown to Purchase tourist ticket for sight admission (16 sights), book city tour for Wednesday and Machu Picchu (if not already done), see the sights (Main Plaza, 12 angle rock, Popular Art Museum, Artisan Market, Pachakuteq Monument), see traditional dance show in evening 6pm, Go to Hotel for check-in.

Day 2 – Travel to Cusco in morning, visit Contemporary art Museum, Regional History Museum, Market in San Pedro. Take City Tour in afternoon 1:00 pm (includes the Main Cathedral, Qoriqancha, Sacsayhuaman, Kenko, Tambomachay and Puka Pukara).

Day 3 – 8:00 am Visit Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, Moray, the Salt mines of Maras, Urco and Pisac.

Day 4 –Visit Machu Picchu.

Day 5 – Visit Wanchaq Market, Tipon, the Church of San Pedro in Andahuaylillas, and Pikillaqta.

Day 6, Sun – Andenes Zurite, Killarumiyoq and Tarawasi. Flight home.

The Machu Picchu ticket shouldn’t be a problem to get once here as it is the slow season. We usually recommend Viajes Cusco for the Machu Picchu tour, you may have to shuffle some of the sights around as this was planned as a private tour. Some of the locations above are on the normal Sacred Valley tours, others you may have to hire a car to see (approx. $40-$50). I would be happy to answer any additional questions you may have, hope you have a wonderful vacation.

2. Re: Cusco / MP help - short time-frame

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, December 16, 2013