We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu Trek and Bike Tour

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 4
Machu Picchu Trek and Bike Tour

My boyfriend and I are planning to go to Peru this May and we are interested in doing a 4 day bike and trek tour to end up in Machu Picchu. Any recommendations for tour operators, and how safe are the bikes? Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 289
1. Re: Machu Picchu Trek and Bike Tour

Bike tour to MP ?

Never heard about it.

Ica, Peru
reviews: 4
2. Re: Machu Picchu Trek and Bike Tour

The Inca Jungle Trail is a cheap tour that includes one day of biking from the Abra Malaga to Santa Maria. From there the tourists trek to Aguas Calientes.

Virginia Beach...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Machu Picchu Trek and Bike Tour

I've hiked the 4-day Inca Trail and hiked 1-day Inca Trail several times. Last summer I did the hike/bike on the jungle trail.

So far it is my favorite! I hope I get to do it again. YOu drive to the top of Abra Malaga (4330 m) and cross over then mount your bike and descend to Santa Maria. (sometimes day biking trips will stop at other small towns before Santa Maria)

I've very tall and my bike was quite comfortable. Helmets were provided but I ended up with a motocross helmet. Which turned out to be great because my ears get cold easily and the helmet protected my face/ears. Next time I will ask for that helmet!

My 21 yo son (who is 6" 9") did the same bike ride on a different day and he loved it as well.

After the bike you sleep in local lodges or camp and then next day you hike through small coffee farms to Santa Teresa. There are nice hot springs there. Then you can hike around the back side of Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes.

I hope I get to do this trip again. It was alot of fun. The biking is all downhill on mostly paved roads with some breaks on packed earth. Operators with unsafe bicycles will not be able to stay in business, so most are inclined to keep their equipment functioning. People can have accidents so it's good to make sure your travel insurance covers "adventure travel" activities like biking/hiking at altitude in foreign countries.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 289
4. Re: Machu Picchu Trek and Bike Tour

The road is now closed due to the rains in the area, so you better be sure this tour is operating

5. Re: Machu Picchu Trek and Bike Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 30, 2013