We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independent traveler needs English speaking guide MP

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
israel
reviews: 7
Independent traveler needs English speaking guide MP

Hi, How can I find a local English speaking guide in MP. I am meeting daughter in Cusco May 8. She has been in South America since October. I have reserved hostel for one night in Cusco and two nights in MP. Two questions- is it advisable to reserve return train now? How exactly do we find a reliable guide for two days in MP? I contacted a company advertised and they quoted me $160 a day!!! I think we must have a communication problem, because I stated that I have already made hotel arrangements. How can I be sure I'm getting a good guide. This is a once in a lifetime experience (I'm from Israel) and I don't want to blow it. Thanks for any help you can give me. We plan on staying on for a few more days in Cusco after MP. Then we want to take train to Puno. Should we reserve well in advance?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
1. Re: Independent traveler needs English speaking guide MP

These guides will cost you aprox $ 70 and $ 140, depending on the guide and the amount of hrs they spend with you.

They are english speakers and are very good.

Wagner:51.84. 8740275

David : 51.84. 9947394

Its always better to reserve in advance to avoid any surprises.Coming all the way from Israel and not being able to complete yr trip for not making reservations in advance would be a real pitty.

Stay a few days at the Sacred Valley of Urubamba.(see Tripadvisor for hotel recommendations)

israel
reviews: 7
2. Re: Independent traveler needs English speaking guide MP

Hi Xochitl

Thank you for the information. I tried to call the first number with no luck. I did get through to David. The connection was not the best and he told me in princible he will be able to take us. I'd like to send him email to close the matter. Perhaps you pass it on to me? I'm shiracheryl@yahoo.ca. Thank you, again

San Diego
reviews: 54
3. Re: Independent traveler needs English speaking guide MP

We just returned and had a wonderful time being our own guide. Buy the book "The machu Picchu Guidebook - A Self Guided Tour" by Ruth Wright and Dr Alfredo Zegarra. We read the book in advance and I think we gave ourselves a better tour that the loal guides. Arrange your own train tickets at www.perurail.com. We did use a guide for a day in the Sacred Valley (7 hours for about $135 - driver/van and English speaking guide) Write to R & C Tour - Jose Luis Aguilar Bravo -- joseluisaguilar@hotmail.com. We also used him to take us to the train station and airport. Very happy with the service.