We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 2
Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online

Has anyone else had success buying tickets for Machu Picchu on their website (www.machupicchu.gob.pe)? I can make a reservation, but when I go to pay it responds "Operacion Denegada" every time. I have a Visa card that I registered with Verified by Visa, I confirmed with my bank (Chase) that they are seeing the Verified by Visa confirmation requests and they are confirming the card, but regardless the sale is being denied by the vendor. I have tried this multiple times with at least 3 different credit cards.

Has anyone else had recent success paying for MP tickets with a Chase credit card?

196 replies to this topic
Peru
1. Re: Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online

The INC (Ministry of Culture in charge of Machu Picchu) have made some changes to ticket prices over the weekend (Jan 7-8) which in turn has affected the functioning of the website. (Prices for most tickets have gone up by 1 or 2 Soles.) It's been impossible to pay for any ticket reservation with any credit card since the changes were made. Earlier this morning, the website for online purchases crashed. At the moment, the only way to pay for a ticket reservation is in person in Cusco or in Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu village).

If this is not an option for you, my advice is to keep trying until they sort out their website issues, which will happen eventually. If you're anxious to get your tickets, your other option is to go through a reputable agency with people on the ground in Cusco or Aguas Calientes who would be able to make the purchase for you.

Note: Online ticket reservation must be paid for within 6 hours. After that, the reservation expires.

Best of luck!

Peru For Less

Madison, Wisconsin
2. Re: Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online

Thank you for some actual info! I'll keep trying. Of course the email response I got back from DRC Cusco didn't mention any of this :)

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
3. Re: Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online

You might also try at different times of the day, ie middle of the night Peru time. Not surprising that their website crashed on the first weekday after they updated it! I think it was working Sunday, if I'm not mistaken there may be a few people that posted that they managed to buy tickets.

Iowa
reviews: 5
4. Re: Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online

I got tickets Saturday morning using a U.S.Bank Visa credit card. They did block my payment the first time I tried to pay, but I called the bank and got them to release the card, and then it went through smoothly. I have already printed my tickets, so I am pretty sure it worked.

california
Destination Expert
5. Re: Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online

Probably all the travel agencies trying to buy tickets for clients this morning caused it to crash.

It looks like they have added the 29th of February as well. Give it a few days and try again.

Madison, Wisconsin
6. Re: Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online

Good to know someone got through. I'll let the bugs settle out and try again in a couple days. Need tickets for Jan 27th, so I still have a little time.

Madison, Wisconsin
7. Re: Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online

I see DRC-Cusco finally responded on their Facebook page about this problem and are recommending trying again next Monday (Jan 16).

see response to question from Maru David at

https:/…

california
Destination Expert
8. Re: Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online

They really need a new IT guru, don't they! Must be contracted out to someone's nephew.

Sacramento...
reviews: 13
9. Re: Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online

Hi folks,

I'm having the same issues with VISA payments being denied despite having Verify Visa and trying multiple times over several days. Did everyone eventually get ticketed? Thanks in advance.

Dave

california
Destination Expert
10. Re: Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online

There was a notice on the website that they were upgrading their bandwidth yesterday. Although that doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed yet.

Reply to: Problems with paying for Machu Picchu tickets online
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted