We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with a child to Macchu Piccu

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pittsburgh,pa
traveling with a child to Macchu Piccu

We'd like to take our 8 y/o son to Peru and include a visit to Machu Picchu. It'll be our 1st visit to the country. Any advice on the best way to make this interesting for my son? Are there family-friendly hotels and English-language tours you'd recommend? When would be the better time for the trip-March or the summer?

Thanks.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 318
1. Re: traveling with a child to Macchu Piccu

Stay in the SV, look at recommended hotels on this forum for Urubamba.

If you stay at the best hotel there, yr son will have a lot of things to do.

Read the reviews on the Kuychi Rumi, I own one of the houses there, you will see they speak english and are very family friendly.

I hope yr son likes to walk, plenty to walk upstarirs in MP.

Fox Island...
reviews: 16
2. Re: traveling with a child to Macchu Piccu

What do you mean by family-friendly? I don't think any hotels ban children. Be aware that this is not the US and so not all buildings and ruins are equipped with standard safety features like handrails, roped off dangerous areas, etc. I was pretty amazed at the narrow paths at MP with 10' dropoffs and no handrails. Just about everyone in Cusco involved in tourism speaks English. All tours had English speaking guides and most people at our hotels and restaurants spoke English. He will have a great time seeing the llamas that live at MP.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
3. Re: traveling with a child to Macchu Piccu

By family friendly I meant that the place, I am recommending, with its gardens and dogs and games are geared to make a child happy. The place is safe and private.

I was not talking about MP.

Fox Island...
reviews: 16
4. Re: traveling with a child to Macchu Piccu

Sorry Xochitl, my question about definition of family-friendly was directed to the OP, 'notpat'. I asked because family-friendly hotels in the US usually have play areas, child menus, etc. I did not see that in Peru and didn't know if she was aware of that.

pittsburgh,pa
5. Re: traveling with a child to Macchu Piccu

By family-friendly I did mean hotels that may have special things for kids, such as playgrounds and smaller meals. Thanks for the advice.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
6. Re: traveling with a child to Macchu Piccu

Smaller meals you will find in most restaurants.

The KR is in a big garden and has a few games , but no playground.

7. Re: traveling with a child to Macchu Piccu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, August 28, 2009