We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

Which Sacred Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
somerville...
Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

Hey everyone, I've been reading a lot of things that have been posted and there are some great recommendations from everyone. So thanks for that, greatly appreciated. Anyhow, I wanted to know if anyone could help me out here with a decision.

The group of 4 that I'm planning to go with is flying into Cusco (from Lima) and wants to go immediately to the Sacred Valley in the morning when we get in (as many have advised on this forum). We're wondering if we should go to either Urubamba or Ollantaytambo (or a different place) since we'll only be there for the entire day of December 27th until the last train leaves for Aguas Calientes on the 28th - to visit Machu Picchu.

Another problem is, is that both of the places that we were looking to stay at (Kuychi Rumi and Pakaritampu) are booked.

Anyhow, would like to hear from anyone about a recommendation about a place in the SV and then also about what hotels/hostals we should look into since our first 2 choices are booked for that night. Nothing too crazy expensive though! Hope that's not too much trouble. Many thanks in advance!

J

Oh yeah, also if anyone knew of any people/groups that could help us plan some trips through the SV for such a short stay. Thanks again!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
1. Re: Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

For only one day, and since the KR is fully booked, I would suggest you stay at Ollantaytambo, specially if you are going to catch the train next afternoon ( the station is in Ollantaytambo)

Go to : http://www.peru.info/peru.asp

Select English

Select Hotels

Select "all" ( for hotels and hostals )

Select Urubamba

You will get a listing of most lodgings in the area and their web sites.

Florida
2. Re: Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

Orquedia is nice and some of the rooms have a view of the ruins. Also, right at the train station is a funky little place called El Alburgue. It is really lovely but has shared bathrooms. You can hire a taxi for the day and pay him about forty dollars and they will take you anywhere you want to go. On the street that you have to travel to go down to the train station before you would arrive to Pakaritampu are several small hotels. That is where Orquedia is.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

Last June I spent just one night at Ollantaytambo and I loved it. Walking its narrow streets in the evening or having a glass of bear in the sunset light were unforgettable experiences. That place's got some magic. No wander it was chosen by the incas to settle!

I stayed at Hotel Sauce. It was chosen by my travel agent and it was great. Spotlessly clean, with some rooms overlooking the archeological site and really helpful staff (can't say much about their English skills though; I speak Spanish). You can take a look at www.hostalsauce.com.pe

Hope you have a great trip!

somerville...
4. Re: Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

Thanks everyone for your help, looks like we'll be staying in Ollantaytambo at Hostal Sauce (which I'll have to say has been very helpful on the email - replying fairly quickly to any questions that I've had about the area, pick up at Cusco and others). I'll give you more of an update when I get back.

Also, if anyone has time, was curious to see if we could do a lot of activity on the first day that we come into the Sacred Valley or should we just take it easy and acclimate to the altitude like in Cusco? Thanks again!

J

Buenos Aires...
5. Re: Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

I'm afraid I can't answer that question, since I went to the Sacred Valley after staying for 3 days in Cusco, that is higher than the Valley. If you're staying at the Sauce, try to get one of the rooms overlooking the ruins.

Have a great time. I love your Calvin (well, I love Calvin, and I love Hobbes too!).

Buenos Aires...
6. Re: Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

Can't believe I wrote "a glass of bear"!

Actually, it was a glass of beer (Cusqueña, of course).

peru
7. Re: Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

there is a private reserve close to chiclayo that has some bears. i suppose if you look at them through binoculars you would have a glass of bear

Buenos Aires...
8. Re: Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

Good point! I don't remember where Chiclayo is in Peru.

I'm planning my second visit, but I think it's going to be Cusco again, since my friends are eager to visit La Paz in Bolivia, Puno and, if possible, take the train to Cusco. I've been told it's a great trip.

Florida
9. Re: Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

I think the bus trip between CUsco and Puno is a much richer experience.

Buenos Aires...
10. Re: Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

Really? Why is that? I was told buses did the trip during the night.