We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to best see the ruins from Cusco y Ollantaytambo?

Which Sacred Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami
reviews: 19
How to best see the ruins from Cusco y Ollantaytambo?

How to best see the ruins...

I've been trying to organize the best way to see the ruins around Cusco and Ollantaytambo. We will be in Cusco for 2 days/2 nights, and Ollantaytambo for 3 days/ 3 nights.

We want to do at least one day or half day on horseback (paso), and do some decent trekking, as well as the possibility of some by taxi.

We will leave Ollantaytambo via train to do the 1 day -Km 104 Machu Picchu trek as well - already booked!

I have had trouble getting a sense of distances of ruins from Cusco and Ollantaytambo. How can I best enjoy the various ruins of the area? Are there a couple that are best by foot, others by horse?

Of course we'll do the market stop at Chinchero or Pisac as well, and maybe a 1/2 day rafting out of Ollantaytambo. And maybe a cooking class.

Suggestions please.......Gracias

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 90
1. Re: How to best see the ruins from Cusco y Ollantaytambo?

In Cusco the ruins, Sacsayhuaman, Q'enko and two others (which I have now forgotten names) are either on the edge of town or a 15 mnute cab ride. We met people who had done the 4 by horseback..arranged at an agency in the Plaza in Cusco.( we hired a cab for 1/2day and picked up guide in Sacsayhuaman..didn't feel we needed one at other ruins so wandered while cab waited)

From Cusco you drive down into the SV. We stayed in Urubamba which is central between Pisac and Ollantaytambo. Imagine a long gentle s curve on it's side..Pisac is at the far right, Urubamba in the middle and Ollanta at the far left end. From Urubamba to drive to Pisac took about 35 minutes, from Urubamba to drive to Ollanta took about 20 minutes.

As you come down the winding road from Cusco you will go past Chinchero cut off road and also road to Maras, Moray. It took us about 25 minutes from Urubamba to drive up to Maras.

Cooking with Pio at El Huacatay is a wonderful experience.

You can do a hike from Maras, down to Moray. Daughter did this and said it as a highlight. We didn't as I am afraid of heights!

Ollanta and Pisac fortresses you would do by foot.

I know Claudia and Rodrigo at the KR arranged some wonderful rafting for people staying there probably your hotel in Ollanta should be able to arrange rafting, cooking, horseback riding in the valley.

we split our 3 days in sv as follows

Day 1 ollanta in am, Maras, Moray afternoon

Day 2 trip to Willhoc, Puma Marca,

Day 3 cooking and eating 10am-2:30 pm, Pisac fortress after

we stopped in to Chinchero on our way from airport in Cusco to Urubamba..did not do Pisac market.

We had lots of time to just sit and chill in the gardens and wander around places at our own pace. Had guide and driver arranged by Claudia and lots of flexibilty

For Cusco if you allow one day for various ruins and one day to just wander the town it wil be plenty of time. Be sure to visit the Center for Traditional Textiles for wonderful local weaving from many villages. The Center is just down the street from the Koriancha which you can walk to from the Plaza des Armas. We stayed in the Casa San Blas and loved the area there. The small church on San Blas plaza has a very exquisite carved wood pulpit well worth paying the small admission fee.

Miami
reviews: 19
2. Re: How to best see the ruins from Cusco y Ollantaytambo?

Traveller47,

Thanks for the thorough info. Helps so much. I knew I wanted to see all these things, but couldn't get a good grasp of distances from the many forums I've read.

I believe you wrote about your cooking class with Pio elsewhere, and it was that forum that got me thinking about a cooking class, so thanks again!

3. Re: How to best see the ruins from Cusco y Ollantaytambo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:21 am, September 28, 2009