We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maras / Moray in rainy season?

Which Sacred Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rancagua, Chile
reviews: 16
Maras / Moray in rainy season?

How interesting are these?

Is it worth it to go in the rainy season? (I'm absolutely ignorant about this, but, maybe the salt mines are covered with water, losing much of their attraction?)

What about Moray?

Should I go somewhere else, and spend a day maybe in Urubamba?

(I'll go to Cusco, Ollantaytambo, MP, Pisac, and Puno and surroudings)

Thanks

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
1. Re: Maras / Moray in rainy season?

Don't know much about salt mines in rainy season, but haven't heard of any problems in rainy season. Moray & other sites in Sacred Valley should be fine.

There's not a whole lot to see in Urubamba itself, to warrant a whole day. We did spend a day in Urubamba, taking a cooking class at El Huacatay restaurant, set up by Claudia by Kuychi Rumi. We also visited El Seminario pottery in U., but that only takes a few minutes.

Urubamba is a great base for seeing the Sacred Valley (Pisac, Maras, Moray, Ollantaytambo), however, as you will be centrally located if you stay there. Other forum members have also liked staying in Ollantaytambo, more to see just walking around & also train to MP can be caught here.

Rancagua, Chile
reviews: 16
2. Re: Maras / Moray in rainy season?

Someone knows about Maras/Moray in the rainy season?

Thanks in advance

Prescott, Arizona
reviews: 83
3. Re: Maras / Moray in rainy season?

I can't advise you on Maras. However, regarding Moray, I'd say it's a concern about getting to the site. To get there, you have to drive some distance along a very narrow, winding dirt/mud road. If road conditions are questionable at all, I'd say it's best to skip Moray.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
4. Re: Maras / Moray in rainy season?

If its raining to much, it could ne difficult to get to the salt mines.

During the rainy season they do not look as nice as during the dry season, but hey are still a good site to visit.

If you stay in Urubamba, you can try horseback riding or whitewater rafting.

5. Re: Maras / Moray in rainy season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 13, 2009