We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay at Marriott or Move to the Sheraton

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
stay at Marriott or Move to the Sheraton

Female traveling to Peru in October for business staying at the JWMarriott for 4 days.

Should I transfer to the Sheraton for the rest of my trip (3 days) to be downtown and sight see. Is there anything to do near the Sheraton? Or should I just stay at the marriott? anything to do near the Marriot?

Which hotel area is safer?

Would also like to take a day trip to Macchu Picchu. Can you book this type of a trip at your hotel or can someone recommend something else.

How far is it to Macchu Picchu from Hotel?

Thank you

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
1. Re: stay at Marriott or Move to the Sheraton

Stay at the Marriot. The Sheraton is downtown and its not in a safe area. From the Marriot to downtown Lima is only a 15 to 20 minute taxi drive.

In front of the Marriot you will find Larcomar which houses restaurants,bars,cinemas and shops. Plenty to do in the Miraflores area. Great restaurants are also in the neighborhood.

You need at least 3 days to vist MP. First you have to get to Cusco (1 hr jet flight) then you catch a train to MP (4 hrs each way).

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 5
2. Re: stay at Marriott or Move to the Sheraton

Hi,

I agree with the previous post completely. If you are going to stay in Lima for 3 more days then stay put at the Marriott for all the stated reasons. Also, during the 4 days try to arrange for a couple of short 2 to 3 hour tours to visit the private museums. The hotel can make the arrangements or hire a remise/taxi to take you to these museums.

Since, you have 3 more days, then you should go to Cusco and visit Machu Picchu with the surrounding area. This part of the trip is a highlite of any visit to Peru and should not be misses. There are many tour companies which advertise on the internet and should be booked before you arrive because of airline tickets and hotels in Cusco.

Suerte!!!

Chicago, IL
3. Re: stay at Marriott or Move to the Sheraton

Thank you Xochitl very much.

Also Thank you ricardoBA very much.

Can you recommend a tour company for Macchu Picchu?

I have been on the internet - there are lots of them - which one has a good reputation?

Thanks again.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 5
4. Re: stay at Marriott or Move to the Sheraton

Hi,

I used Royal Inca Tours(www.royalinkahotel.com). Click on tour packages. I used the 3 night 4 day tour. They were very nice and I was met at the airport then transferred to the hotel and the tour guide met me each morning to get me on the correct tour. The groups were small.They offer different levels of hotels depending on what you want to spend. I stayed at the Royal Inka I in the center of Cusco which is very close to the main Plaza. It was not luxurious as the Monasterio would be, but was very clean, comfortable and with a good location. If you get there early in the morning then they wil take you for one night to their hotel in Pisac which is lower altitude than Cusco so that you get use to the altitude. The hotel is within walking distance to the excellent outdoor market. Their agent is located in New York, so you will speak with someone locally for the arrangement.s.

Xochiltl will have some other suggestions, since he is much more familiar with this area than I and has some excellent suggestions.

Suerte!!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
5. Re: stay at Marriott or Move to the Sheraton

I would use a local company like www.peruchasquitur.com.pe

Many other are available and recommended on this forum.

inverness, fl
reviews: 13
6. Re: stay at Marriott or Move to the Sheraton

I made the mistake of staying at the Sheraton on my arrival in Lima.

That was not a bright idea on my part. Enogh said on that. Stick with the Marriott.

7. Re: stay at Marriott or Move to the Sheraton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 19, 2009