We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night in Aguas Calientes help

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 6
Night in Aguas Calientes help

I have two questions and would love any feedback on my itinerary that I'm planning. We are a family of 3 with a very active/athletic 8 year old who is an expert skier and frequent trail runner here in Colorado (for context based on my question).

After a 10 day tour of the Galapagos, we are heading from Quito to Cusco specifically to see Machu Picchu. We plan to stay in Cusco for a few days, then take the train to A.G., spend the night in A.G., hike Wayna Picchu in the morning of our second day in A.G., and take a later train back to Cusco. The next day we fly to Lima, spend 2 nights, and then back home.

Here are my questions:

What is the process of getting from the train to our hotel in A.G.? Are there taxis or is it a small town and all within walking distance?

Am I crazy to take my kid on the Wayna hike? He's done short 'via ferratas' in the past in Moab, UT...???

Any other feedback on my itinerary plans? So far I have my flights booked but am working on train / hotel details.

Cheers!!

8 replies to this topic
Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
1. Re: Night in Aguas Calientes help

The train station is basically in the town and its not that big. You can walk to wherever you are staying easily. If wherever you are staying knows when you are arriving they can meet you and show you the way.

I would consider taking the train to Aguas Calientes from Ollantaytambo rather than Cusco and that way you can sightsee in the Sacred Valley before and after. Pisac has a big market and ruins high above the town. The town of Ollantaytambo itself is an attraction and the fortress there is amazing. On the taxi ride between Ollantaytambo and Cusco you can easily stop to see Maras and Moray.

This website might help you with further planning or at least give you some ideas...

www.andeantravelweb.com/peru

Evansville, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Peru
reviews: 14
2. Re: Night in Aguas Calientes help

I don't think it's crazy if he is used to hiking. The youngest child I saw up there was around 10.

Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 6
3. Re: Night in Aguas Calientes help

Thank you - great advice. On the train options, I will choose the train from Ollantaytambo - but on the return I'm leaning toward going into Cusco. Would you agree that is a good choice? That seems like the best choice ot me but want to make sure before I buy the tickets.

Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
4. Re: Night in Aguas Calientes help

I would still return to Ollantaytambo and take a taxi to Cusco.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
5. Re: Night in Aguas Calientes help

If your 8 year old has hiked in Colorado and Moab, Huyayana Picchu will be way walk in the park. It has steps and hand rails. It's a very easy mountain hike.

Bellevue, Washington
reviews: 3
6. Re: Night in Aguas Calientes help

train from ollany to a.g. and back is the easiest. if you take the valley tour before m.c. you should ask the driver leave you behind in ollany. take a small bag to a.g. then m.c for the hike. a.g. is very small and hilly you walk to everywhere. there is a nice little hot spring pretty cheap you should check out.

London, United...
reviews: 31
7. Re: Night in Aguas Calientes help

we were told yesterday that buses run regularly from ollay to cusco, 10 soles. which was nice to know, as we were planning on a collectivo but that requires a change in urubamba.

Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 57
8. Re: Night in Aguas Calientes help

Take the vans / collectivos each way Cusco > Ollantaytambo. They stop elsewhere but you don't need to get off or change. You can get them right at the train station in Ollantaytambo (believe me the drivers will let you know where to go) and in Cusco just look for Ollantaytambo signs or ask. 10 soles is about what you should pay. Coming from elevation you'll be fine fitness wise.

Reply to: Night in Aguas Calientes help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted