We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skip Lima?

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
Skip Lima?

Planning May visit to region - travel companion wants to skip Lima except for airport - anything special I should use in argument to spend a day or 2 or do we just got to Cusco and other towns in Sacred Valley.

12 replies to this topic
MaineUSA
reviews: 50
1. Re: Skip Lima?

We arrived about 9 or so at night, spent the night in Lima, did a half day guided tour, and took off for Cusco early the following day. We found the full night's sleep useful. The city tour was well worth the visit, especially the churches. We had a leisurly lunch after the tour and relaxed at the hotel. We arrived at Cusco rested, had a nice lunch and ready for the afternoon tour.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
2. Re: Skip Lima?

We skipped Lima. The issue was there were a lot of places we did want to see and when we added up the time it would all take, something would have to go. We were most interested in the Inca sites and the mountains, so that's where we spent the time. If you make a list of everything you want to see and have enough time to fit it all in, then definitely see Lima. If not, you can decide based on your interests whether to skip Lima or to spend less time elsewhere.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 136
3. Re: Skip Lima?

How much overall time do you have?

If you are departing from Lima, you can get a decent taste of Lima by flying back from Cusco the day or two before. That gives you a buffer in case of flight delays. Unless you have at least 2 weeks or a very long flight, for arrival I think it is better just to continue on to Cusco and then transfer to the SV (might still require an overnight but I stay at the airport).

If you like museums, food, colonial architecture Lima is a great spot for a few days. If you get freaked out by big cities then maybe not, but I would still go back the day before.

Barranco is a low key district that I think is more comfortable for first timers. I prefer it to Miraflores although the latter is hostel central.

Fort Lauderdale...
4. Re: Skip Lima?

Thanks for the feedback - will probably skip Lima and fly right on to Cusco - museums and churches have been done before in other cities most notably Quito Ecuador 2 years ago - I know each is different but with only 1 week in Peru I don't think I have much of an argument to insist on an extra day or two in a large sprawling city.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 136
5. Re: Skip Lima?

Yes, a week is not very much time. I still would suggest coming back to Lima the day before to reduce the risk of missing the flight home, if you have a late night flight back home you can still do a day's worth of touring.

Houston
reviews: 2
6. Re: Skip Lima?

I understand the feeling of being "churched-out". The first 5 or so were really awesome but after that, it can become monotonous.

I personally love Lima and really do second the suggestion to come back to Lima a day early. It is worth it for the opportunity to rest, if needed; make up time, if travel plans get crazy; and enjoy anything that other travelers tip you off to do in the city or that you just discover in general.

Las Vegas, Nevada
7. Re: Skip Lima?

With only a week I'd agree to skip Lima. I used to live and work there...Quito also... and while there are many things to do most are best concentrating on Cuzco and the surrounding towns in the Sacred Valley. If you had a special interest it might be different.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
reviews: 27
8. Re: Skip Lima?

We did Lima but if we didn't it would be no great loss IMO. They say they have frequent earthquakes there so anything historical gets destroyed. Other than that it seemed like a typical South American city - sprawling and a bit run down clogged with traffic and none too safe.

Edited: 9:53 pm, November 30, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
9. Re: Skip Lima?

Vladchan, Not sure who "They" are but Lima is full of historical buildings. For much of it's existence it has been small. Growth started after WW2 and really took off after Velasco messed things up by abolishing internal passports in the 70s. Hence much of the city is relatively modern. But the historic core is largely intact. The greatest earthquake damage has been in the mountains.

Houston
reviews: 2
10. Re: Skip Lima?

Vladchan, whatever you "did" in Lima certainly didn't include any of the common tours if you really believe that <<<"anything historical gets destroyed">>>.

There is no limit to the historical stuff--both before the Spanish arrival and after. My husband is an archeologist--a common profession in Perú and would laugh at your statement.

Reply to: Skip Lima?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted