We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI: airport confiscations

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Delaware
reviews: 32
FYI: airport confiscations

I just returned from Peru.

I had some problems in security that I'd like you to be aware of before returning from your trip.

I purchased a fossil of a fish at an artesania that was confiscated. Apparently, you are not allowed to take fossils out of the country, so don't waste your money.

Also, I bought several stone replicas and the larger of these were also confiscated because security thought it could be used as a weapon on the plane.

My advice is to not carry on any sourveniers that you purchase in Peru, but to instead check them in your luggage. This was a major ordeal in security.

Happy travels to Peru. I can't wait to go back. Next time I'll be smarter about what I try to bring back with me.

Illinois
reviews: 8
1. Re: FYI: airport confiscations

Or if you purchase something that may be complicated to get through customs, you can just mail it home to yourself.

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 1
2. Re: FYI: airport confiscations

Fossils are an interesting tourist-safety issue.

Good to know that Peru is tourist friendly in that regard. It is well known (at least in Europe) that a stupid fossil can get you in big trouble in non-western countries like Turkey.

A couple of years ago there was a campaign in the EU Parliament to free a French tourist that was in in jail for months after being caught at the airport with a fossil bought on the street of Ankara for one euro.

We dump our small fossil that our guide gave us while walking on a beach near Paracas.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 4
3. Re: FYI: airport confiscations

What is the best Shipping Company to use to send stuff back to the USA? ( California )

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 318
4. Re: FYI: airport confiscations

DHL has offices in Peru and they are reliable.