We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museo Larco - other things to do?

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
reviews: 26
Museo Larco - other things to do?

We are going to be in Lima for 3-4 days, and on one of the days, we plan to visit Museo Larco. We are looking for suggestions on what other things we can do or visit while we're in that area? Recommendations for restaurants are welcome too. Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
1. Re: Museo Larco - other things to do?

Read this for recommended Lima restaurants : tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294316-s501/Lima:Per…

Visit downtown Lima and its many attractions like museums and churches as well as the change of the guard at the Plaza de Armas government house. You can also visit Pachacamac pre Inca ruins south of Lima and the Huaca Pucllana in Miraflores neighbourhood. Ride the Mirabus.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
2. Re: Museo Larco - other things to do?

The website www.limaeasy.com has lots of ideas. Museums are listed under "Culture".

There is quite a nice restaurant at the Larco itself.

Near Larco is the National Archaeology /Anthropology/History museum in the home of Simon Bolviar.

limaeasy.com/museums/museo_nacional_arqueolo…

One of the most interesting small museums is the Amano, you will need to ask your hotel desk to call and make a reservation for 3 pm. The tour is in Spanish only, but really you only need your eyes.

(+511) 441-2909

http://www.fundacionmuseoamano.org.pe/

Controversial but amazing is the Enrico Poli Collection. Another one that needs to be arranged in advance, and I believe through an agent. (You'll have to Google, I don't have an agency recommendation). The son is now giving the tours.

Washington, DC
3. Re: Museo Larco - other things to do?

Thanks for the info. We do plan to do the Plaza de Armas activities on a separate day. We basically have an extra day that we're not sure what to do with it and put it Museo Larco. Any other suggestions are welcome. We don't need to necessary do museums/ruins.

california
Destination Expert
4. Re: Museo Larco - other things to do?

Antigua Taberna Quierolo is not far from Larco, interesting historic bar/restaurant.

There is probably more to see in the center of Lima than one days' worth.

Or you can go to Miraflores, walk along the cliffs, Parque de Amor, have an ice cream at Laritza in the shopping mall.

Orange County, CA
reviews: 38
5. Re: Museo Larco - other things to do?

We recently spent two days in Lima - and very much enjoyed our time at the Museo Larco. The museum staff asked if we wanted a private guide when we bought our tickets. For, I believe 25 soles, we had a very, very knowledgeable young man guide us from exhibit to exhibit for about an hour. His English was perfect and he gave us details and history that would have been very difficult to duplicate on our own - especially in such a short time.

The restaurant at the museum is also wonderful! Try to plan your visit around lunch. They also have a Kuna store there with a lovely selection and great staff, as well as some other great items for last minute shopping.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
6. Re: Museo Larco - other things to do?

Hiring a guide at the Larco Museum is an absolute must if you really want to understand the development of the Peruvian culture from the pre Inca times and compare it with what was happening with other cultures around the world.

california
Destination Expert
7. Re: Museo Larco - other things to do?

The Larco does actually have good English translations on their exhibits.

Of course that is not the same as a lecture on the history of the world.

St. Andrews, United...
reviews: 12
8. Re: Museo Larco - other things to do?

Hi Dizziey,

Are you traveling with kids or it's only adults?

Depending of what you want and like you can do lots of stuff!!....

when is that you are going to be in Lima?..

You deffinitly need to check this:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294316-d1…

you will have lots of fun :)

Washington, DC
9. Re: Museo Larco - other things to do?

Hi Jerico, we are not traveling with kids. Just me and my husband. We will be in Lima for a total of 4 days and 3 nights. We have one day of checking the sites near Plaza de Armas, one day in Miraflores, and one day in Museo Larco. Hence, we are wondering what else to do in Lima.

Thanks for all the replies!

St. Andrews, United...
reviews: 12
10. Re: Museo Larco - other things to do?

Hi Dizziey,

When will you be in Lima?..... did you check the link I posted?

Here is the link for the Parque de las aguas in lima....it is beautiful and you will have fun, you can do it after you have been in the Museo Larco, cos this place you will have to go around 6pm; here check the official website:

www.parquedelareserva.com.pe/indexIn.html

If you are going now to Lima, there is a event call Mistura, where you can eat a lot of different peruvian dishes from the whole country.....I wish I was there!!.....

You can try the Zoo as well, it is nicer than what it used to be and it is big, you will expend a whole morning and afternoon there.

You can try Pachacamac, it is a touristic place where you can see where Francisco Pizarro arrived for the first time and give you a bit of the Inca's culture taste.

Hope that help you a bit.

Good luck and enjoy Peru....if you guys are not fuzzy eaters, you should try Anticuchos con papa a la hunacaina!!...it is really nice.....if you are in Miraflores go to Pardo's chicken, they are nice in there :)