We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Peru...need advice!

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Considering Peru...need advice!

My Husband and I are considering a September trip to Peru, and we're wondering if it is reasonable to rent a car and drive ourselves??? We're considering doing a loop from Lima to Arequipa, Lake Titicaca, Cuzco, Macchu-Picchu etc...Can it be done? Would it be fairly safe?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 318
1. Re: Considering Peru...need advice!

Driving in Peru is an extreme sport.

Nobody follows any rules on the road, and the bigger you are the less rules you follow.

It is better you contact a travel agency for them to arrange yr planned trip which can include the drive you would like to do, using a driver.

The only way to get to M.Picchu is by train or walking the Inca trail. No roads available.

Try aracari.com for the agency.

Stay in the sacred valley of the Incas instead of Cusco City for better aclimatization for altitude sickness.

Try Kuychi Rumi for a pleasant stay (urubamba.com)

san francisco
reviews: 7
2. Re: Considering Peru...need advice!

My wife's cousin is a travel agent in Lima. See what she can arrange for you as to tours/drivers. Her name is Teresa Fortunic and she speaks English & Spanish and she was born in the US. Her email address is fortourslima@hotmail.com.

Leicester
reviews: 1
3. Re: Considering Peru...need advice!

Dont even dream of driving in peru. It is far simpler to fly / train and if necessry taxi or bus. To get to Macchu Picchu you can either do the inca trail or the train from Cuzco and then buses take the tourists up. I would recomend the inca trail if possible

SANTA BARBARA
4. Re: Considering Peru...need advice!

My wife (who was born in Peru) and I recently returned from Peru. Peruvian drivers make New York taxi drivers seem polite. Not a good idea to drive there. There are better and safer ways to get around. Between cities you can get a Lanpass to fly on Lan Air. It's a very good airline. Within cities taxi's are cheap especially in Arequipa. You can also find very reasonable 1 or 2 day trips from Cusco to Machu Pichu and the Sacred Valley. We used an agency from the web (www.perutravel.info) and would highly recommend them. Good luck, have fun and don't drink the water.