We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hijacking on the Amazon

Which Iquitos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 20
Hijacking on the Amazon

I am just putting this post on to see if anyone and verify something that I was told by a traveller returning from SA.

They told me that there had been a hijacking of a boat on the Amazon and people were actually taken hostage. I won't put the name of the boat on this post as there may not be any truth in the report.

Does anyone know if there was an incident like this and if so where and when.

We are planning our trip to SA in April 2010 and have included an Amazon cruise on our itinerary.

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 56
1. Re: Hijacking on the Amazon

There was a robbbery abaord MV Aqua...

Everything back to normal

with new securuty measures.

…about.com/b/2009/08/11/amazon-returns-to-no…

Lima
2. Re: Hijacking on the Amazon

No one was taken hostage in this incident and in fact most of the stolen items were recovered. As qwovadis mentions the National Police and the Peruvian Coast Guard have instituted additional security measures. This was a very atypical event.

Australia
3. Re: Hijacking on the Amazon

Thanks for the feedback. I have since located some info from the net and it seems there have just been those two incidents and as you have said - noone was injured or taken hostage. What a relief - we thought we would have to reconsider our trip to the Amazon which we have decided not to.

perth
reviews: 12
4. Re: Hijacking on the Amazon

have you been down the amazon yet? We are planning to go in December (just befroe Xmas) so are keen to get some recent information..

Cheers

Tango57

Australia
5. Re: Hijacking on the Amazon

Hello Tango57Perth

No we haven't travelled yet - we will be travelling to SA in March/April 2010. We have changed our mind on the cruise to the Amazon though - not necessarily because of the hijacking although one cruise we were going to go on has cancelled their cruise until things improve. Mainly because of schedules and connecting to cruises that leave on particular days. We are currently hovering between going to the Sandoval lodge (Tamboata area0 which is closer to Cusco or flying to Iquitos and staying at the Ceiba Lodge. Unfortunately we really wanted to go the Manu Wildlife Center but they dont open unti May. Enjoy your trip in December.

6. Re: Hijacking on the Amazon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 26, 2010